BugE - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #21
Registered Member

Where are you getting BugE updates? I'd love to see a blog on his site... Tesla has spoiled all other "normal" corporate web sites

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Where are you getting BugE updates? I'd love to see a blog on his site... Tesla has spoiled all other "normal" corporate web sites
There is a bit of info under testing notes but maybe that is not the answer to your question. A Blog would be nice.

When I told my wife I was going to buy one that was too much. She said the airplane project would have to go first. So I bought a bicycle. Have not ordered the Phoenix motor yet. That is my alternative.

http://blueskydsn.com/BugE_Test_Notes.html

Old 06-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #23
Registered Member

Ya it would be more convenient with a blog but unfortunately he has not made one yet. I think go under data and on the left there are some more pages. I make it a daily habit to check for updates. From what it looks like the fairing flexes to much and they are trying to fix it. There are so many opportunities to enhance this vehicle. Easily convert to lithium ion or nimh for better range and weight. But its made with a steel boxed frame, and I hate that
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Registered Member

So build one using your own frame design. Mark emphasizes the kit nature of these things and the opportunities for owners to customize and improve upon the design. If you don't want the frame, I don't think he'll charge you for it.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #25
Registered Member

hopped up BugE

This is funny:

[quote]http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82933746657081
Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #26
Registered Member

Is it just my imagination, or does the price go higher the deeper you dig? The first number I saw on the site was $3,000. Then the $4,000 figure was mentioned. But on the Kit Information page, the basic frame/body kit alone is listed at $3,300. Then if you want a motor so the thing will actually move you need the Power Kit at $1,154. Then if you want brakes so the thing will actually stop you need the Lighting & Control Kit at $325. So at that point we're at $4,779. Plus shipping. Plus batteries. Plus builder-supplied stuff ("Local fasteners & misc parts"). Plus assembly.

Am I missing something?

Rick
Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Yeah, this thing has got me having that 'now you tell me' feeling after having purchased a car for EV conversion. I probably would have placed an order for the BugE instead, but the MR2 is now nearly fully gutted of ICE components.

I'm really on the fence about this one now. Do I complete the MR2 or do I order a BugE? My only consolation is that it will likely take as long to get a BugE as it will take me to finish the MR2.

Oh well, at least the MR2 will have room for another person.
I vote MR2 as well. Why? Mud puddles. With the MR2 you will arrive at your destination mud-free, but in an open passenger compartment vehicle like the BugE you'd have to be dodging puddles. Not an issue on a motorbike, but a 3 wheeled vehicle isn't going to have the same room to maneuver. Not to mention you can build the car to go at highway speeds, and would have the room to add enough battery capacity to have a 100 mile per day range, or better. Then there's cargo, you'd be able to stop off at the store for a bag of groceries on the way home from work. Might be hard to do that with no cargo area.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telco View Post
and would have the room to add enough battery capacity to have a 100 mile per day range, or better.
Not with lead!

Agreed about the weather protection of the BugE though. Better than a motorcycle, worse than a car.

As for the carrying capacity, did you see the YouTube vid on that issue? It's pretty surprising how much stuff he got in its cargo compartment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aU2xO2U3Y
Old 06-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #29
Registered Member

Know anyone else who has built the BugE?

I just got a Bug E kit and would be interested in finding others who have already built one. Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
GasSavers_SquareCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #30
Registered Member

http://visforvoltage.org/ may have other owners on it.

You can also look to the EVDL mailing list.

As far as I know, you are the first BugE owner to pop up on this forum.

And for what it's worth, I have abandoned the MR2 conversion. It just didn't seem practical to spend so much time and effort on a 2 seater that wasn't in great shape to begin with.

I have now ordered a 50cc 2-stroke bike conversion kit and will likely get by on that for awhile, but I'm now leaning heavily toward the BugE again when finances permit.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote