Comparison of Gas vs electric - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #21
Registered Member

True, yes.

But another bit of advice I read repeatedly is: "don't spend much on your first set of EV batteries, because you will murder them."

Unless you already have experience with this, it takes a while to figure out how best to charge, monitor & maintain your pack to get maximum life out of it.

Ask me how I know. I've already ruined at least one of the (admittedly sickly) used floodies we got from the forklift company. (Drew its voltage down too low and reversed a cell.)

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah battery pricing is a killer so does anyone know if the AltairNano batteries are available to the public? They are Li-Ion 88ah 13.8volts and are probably pretty light compared to Lead - they have a 20+ year calendar life and a very high cycle life so that will bring down the operating cost and reduce the weight significantly plus high output and 10 minute recharge times! Imagine the amps for that!
I am also looking for some good cheep lead batteries pairs of 6 volt or 12 volt batteries no more than 15 inches tall to go in a sail boat 400-500 amp hours total. Right now there are 4-12 volt 125ah batteries in one bank and room for a couple more under another seat.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote