electric backhoe - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

electric backhoe

I am interested in converting my older backhoe to electric. my tractor runs at 1800 rpm, perfect for an electric motor. I am interested in low rpm torque more than high rpm horsepower. 22mph is top speed, weight of conversion would not be an issue. where can I go to learn more about such a conversion?

mikehallbackhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Check out this other thread...wonder if it would help?

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=104405

Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

You might be able to use a plug in type 10hp electric motor to run the hydraulic pump, but you'd need about 60 amps of 220volt AC current.

You would need a ton of car batteries to move you machine down the road, plus an electric controller and a big electric motor. I think you;d drain those batteries pretty quick digging for a few hours.

What type of backhoe do you have? I have a 1960's era Case 530CK. Its a diesel so fuel costs aren't too bad for me.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have a jcb 215s 4x4x4 .my plan is to mount 2 motors , one for the hydraulics and one for the engine, and portable 120 amp generator to help charge the batteries. I will have plenty of room for extra batteries, and am not worried about the weight, it will probably be less than the diesel engine . I have two backhoes, this one is my spare that I use mainly on my own property, so it will be a good tractor to experiment with. if I can do the conversion for around 5,000.00 it will pay for itself in 500 hours!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Interesting.......I once knew a fellow that when he started drinking, he would start babling on about building a stealth backhoe and digging peoples yards up in the middle of the night. Not to be accusational, what is your intended use of this "quiet" backhoe and did you used to live in Hays KS?

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't drink, and I wouldn't even consider this with a newer backhoe, but since this is my older spare tractor, the engine is getting a little tired anyway, and the tractor needs some other attention while the engine is out , so it is not a wasted effort. I can afford to let this tractor sit for a while if need be. an electric motor would actually breathe new life into an old tractor. many large earth moving equipment run electric because of the economics, and electric motors work well in low speed high torque applications. I am wanting to possibly convert other vehicles to electric, and this would be an excellent platform to experiment with. diesel costs me 5.00 per gallon, and I burn 2 gallons per hour. on top of that consider the maintenance and upkeep, and electric looks better and better. I want to research this more before I begin, because it is a sizable investment. my diesel is rated at around 100 h.p. and my hydraulics are 36 gpm @ 3500 p.s.i I want to make sure that the electric system I choose will meet the power requirements. I don't expect to find all the answers here ,but would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction as to where I should start searching
Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I wonder if anything ever came of this idea...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

electric backhoe

I came upon Your conversation, thought I would let you in on my electric backhoe, , I built it to do our fixer upper houses and have perfected it over the years, I now sell plans or the machine to locals, It runs on batteries or a gas engine ,

as of now the affordable technology does not allow it to run more than a couple hours on a charge , but when the battery technology catches up , I will be able to put in a full day .

check out: thegreensmachines.com
or go to you tube and type in "electric backhoe" .

thanks Lonnie
earthmachines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

a stealth backhoe is something I've never even though of. I like it. It may catch on and end up being used in all sorts of places where construction noise might be a problem. Very interesting idea guys!

Daveedo is offline   Reply With Quote