Electric cars coming to Hawaii! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #1

Electric cars coming to Hawaii!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10112095-54.html

This is a good read. An all-electric Nissan Rogue. Think about the rental potential - and likely not having to "refuel" the vehicles when you return them if the rental place has a recharging station!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The most interesting thing to me was the automated battery exchange station idea. You arrive at the station and a machine changes the batteries in your car while you wait.

A vague description from the company's site:
http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-...hange-stations

I would like to learn more about the technology works. Are the batteries lowered from under the car, or slid out from the end?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

I love Nissan, and I have been watching their electric vehicle plans. They are incredibly smart in partnering with local governments: Israel, Portugal, Denmark, Oregon, and Hawai'i. I might have missed a few.

Of course, ever manufacturer wants to dominate the market. But it would be cool if you could drive your Toyota, Ford, Nissan, or Honda up to a station and get a standardized battery.

I'm looking at Better Place's web site, too. I would like to invest in them. I don't think they are publicly held, though.
http://www.betterplace.com/an-innova...any/investors/

From better place's web site, it looks like the battery drops in from the top. A lot of EVs I've read about have the motors in the wheels. If that's so, what used to be the engine compartment can now be used to plunk down a big battery.

M
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Registered Member

Great article. They were changing out batteries in the 1920's on New York City electric cabs.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
The most interesting thing to me was the automated battery exchange station idea. You arrive at the station and a machine changes the batteries in your car while you wait.

A vague description from the company's site:
http://www.betterplace.com/our-bold-...hange-stations

I would like to learn more about the technology works. Are the batteries lowered from under the car, or slid out from the end?
From what I've read, it's almost like a robot reaches in from the top and takes out one battery, exchanging it for a fresh one.

I am still wondering how you pay for the energy you use. I'm sure they've figured it out. But if I drive 100 miles on my battery, and my neighbor only goes 50, we won't pay the same amount will we? Or will they let drivers pay a flat rate and you just drive as much as you want?

I'll obviously have to read up a bit more on their business model.

M
Old 04-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
The only problem with Project Better Place is that you are now dependent on paying a company a fee for the battery, and likely will have to pay for someone's profit margins in the process, killing much of the economic savings that could result from using an EV(and possibly making it far more expensive than gasoline use in the process, when it otherwise would be extremely cheap).

A few fast charge stations scattered around the islands should be sufficient to meet the needs of Hawaii given the short driving distance involved to get anywhere in Hawaii; the vast majority of charging would be done at home slowly. The need for rapid charging would be extremely low with any car that had a range greater than 100 miles in Hawaii.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Who owns the batteries?
I'd hate to turn in the new batteries from the car I just bought and get a set of memory retentive, worn out substitutes that won't carry me as far before being flat.
After 18 months my Li-ion phone battery was down to 2 minutes talk time on a "full charge". My work laptop Li-ion battery won't accept more than an 86% charge. The PbA in my work shed trickle charged from a solar panel now barely powers the 13 watt CF night light.
I'd love to trade any of those for a fresh replacement. Wanna swap?
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

Lug nut, you're totally hitting the nail on the head. By swapping out batteries, the station can test them and get rid of the lemons before you ever notice.

No harm, no foul. And no recalls.

M
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I see it as no different than the propane tank exchange programs. They work well, and if you ever want to get out of the program, you just do it when you've got a nicer tank.