Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 78 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #771
Registered Member

Sure, come on by. We'll go for a spin around the block.

But you're not confusing it with Belleville are you?? Belleville's the one that's closer to Picton, and I used to mix up the two Bville towns all the time (before I moved here).

I'm going to be out all Saturday afternoon/evening, but should be around the rest of the time. Send me a PM if you're coming and we'll work out the other details there.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #772
*shrug*

You'll get it all figured out, you're the coolest person alive,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #773
Registered Member

amazing stuff ya got here and inspired me to make my own electric car. What makes it even easier for me, ive got a neighbor who has his array of 6v trojan batteries, being amazingly old, i could still get somewhere with them.

I had a question though, have you ever thought about reconditioning the batteries, using a desulphator, or pulsing circuit? My neighbor has had his batteries for 9+ years now and some of them are still enough to be considered usable.
And have you also removed the flywheel on your transmission?
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #774
Registered Member

Hi Gearshredder... glad to hear someone else is taking the plunge. Start a conversion thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearshredder View Post
I had a question though, have you ever thought about reconditioning the batteries, using a desulphator, or pulsing circuit?
I'm not sold on the concept, and honestly not knowledgeable enough to make my own decision on whether the theory behind it is valid or not. It's come up many times on the EV discussion list, and some of the smartest people there insist that nobody has empirically shown that they make any difference.

Quote:
And have you also removed the flywheel on your transmission?
Yes, it's removed. No clutch or flywheel. Shifting via rev matching & using the synchros. It works fine once you figure it out. The drawbacks are: 1) lack of a mechanical disconnect (safety feature); 2) you can't shift as quickly as when you use a clutch.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #775
Registered Member

Very Cool!!!

Re insurance: I don't know that they would specifically ask you if you gutted it and put in a electric motor and batteries, might be a canada thing. In the states you would just say "I have a 98 metro, vin ..., I want liability only, here's my money". You might have some issues if there is an accident, but it will get you to legal status anyway.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #776
Registered Member

What about companies that specialize in motorcycle insurance? They might know who you could call.

http://www.kingsway-general.com/KGWeb/
Old 10-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #777
Registered Member

Yay! 0 cylinders! lol, after you've got insurance its legal eh? then next, get to the small stuff, i.e climate control

now on the battery reconditioning, ill be getting my batts from my neighbor as soon as my dad sells his car and we look for a good electric candidate. At that time, ill be reconditioning those batteries once I've got them and ill record the results. (seems reconditioning already worked as he has been doing it since he got them used at 5 years, now they being 9+ years old, they usually last only 5) He hasn't pulled them off the solar panel grid he has in his house so he hasn't been able to fully work on them.(some of them are bulging because of sulphation) After that time, if it works, ill let you know and give you the site. I also might try the bedini sg motor (if you havent heard of it, it was a "free energy" project, which turned out to be untrue for most, some make claims of it working, BUT it is supposively a very good battery reconditioner)

Ill start a conversion thread after my dad sells his car -->( 1987 944 porche) Hes been trying to sell it WAY before i wanted to start an electric car project so i cant be blamed for getting rid of it (too expensive upkeep and insurance, being a Porche)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #778
Registered Member

still sorting out insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
You might have some issues if there is an accident, but it will get you to legal status anyway.
Yeah, I was considering
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #779
Registered Member

hey, the climate control was just an example
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #780
Registered Member

Yeah, I know. There are still a pile of things that need doing.

But other than a controller