Registered Member

Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift

[edit:

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Driving on E

I'll move this to the

I'll move this to the electric forum.

If you want we can start fishing for people on the internet to come here and maybe help us figure some stuff out. I would be interested in doing this conversion too. There is a n600 available in SEattle I might want to get for this conversion.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Driving on E

Re: jerry at evconvert.com just

If at all possible please report back here with anything you find. The more I Think about it the more I want to get this going with another small honda (n600 would be cool). This would be a great project for next year, or maybe this summer if I'm up to it.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Driving on E

A friend of mine in high

A friend of mine in high school made his own EV. It only had a 20 mile range, so it was only used to go to school and back. I would personally love a 100 mile range, but it isn't really needed. I guess 50 would be fine too. I could go pretty darn far with 50 miles.

Depending on the cost, however, I wouldn't be opposed to getting the more expensive batteries.

100 lbs of batteries isn't that much. Remember this guY?

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/325.html

By subtracting the stock weight of the car, he has around 700 lbs of batteries. My understanding is this is normal for EVs.

Another reason to go with the lighter batteries is that they have faster recharge times, longer lives, and will reduce the weight of the car (which also means more miles). The downside however is the price.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Re: A friend of mine in high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
A friend of mine in high school made his own EV. It only had a 20 mile range, so it was only used to go to school and back.
you remember any of the details? i'd like to hear about it. tell us a story, matt.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Driving on E

I think if I did this I

I think if I did this I would get a metro. They are very abundant and cheap to buy.

I am curious however about a few things, one of which I'll address right now.

Can you explain to me how the gearbox works with an electric motor? You don't need the flywheel, but you DO need the clutch disc, right? I'm assuming the same about the pressure plate. You said before that some people don't keep their clutch. How is that possible?

Can you point me towards any references that might help me understand this?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
A friend of mine in high school made his own EV. It only had a 20 mile range, so it was only used to go to school and back.
details, matt. details!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
*shrug*

Damn, this is all very

Damn, this is all very interesting. Are there any parts you haven't sourced or wanna source more cheaply? I have a knack for getting stuff free or close to it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

i haven't really sourced

i haven't really sourced anything. i just made a shopping list, and went around various sites getting new/used estima
Old 01-19-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
details, matt. details!
I just did an internet search and here is what I found about him:

Quote:
Bio: I bought my 1984 Fiero 2m4 sport coupe in January 1992.

Purchased as a salvaged car with a thrashed 2.5, the previous owner had smashed the front end in a collision and made a mess of the wiring. When I found it, the owner's front lawn had grown into the engine compartment. The car was one of the first Fieros for roll off the line, and has power windows and locks, as well as the optional spoke aluminum wheels. Over the next two years I worked to convert the car to electric power as well as restoring it to a decent condition.
I used an Advanced DC 63 hp electric motor, and a Curtis 1231C 500 amp
controller. The batteries are made by US battery there are 10 6-volt
batteries in the back (trunk and engine compartment) and 5 12-volt batteries in the front where the spare tire once was. The battery trays are fit into the frame of the car on welded-in brackets. I also installed a 5-speed manual transaxle off of an '85 Fiero.

I began driving my custom made electric fiero last spring. Normally I get 40 to 45 miles on a charge, and the acceleration is not as shabby as some would expect from an electric car. Time for a full charge on the K&W charge unit is 8 hours (over night), running on household 120vac current. I had a custom paint job done, metallic blue, and a Pioneer AM/FM cass. stereo put in. Thecar has been written up in the LA times, featured on OCN (Orange county newschannel), and will appear next issue in Fiero Owner magazine.
This was back in 1996, so I'm certain the technology is much better by now.