Electric lawn mowers - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

We have a corded Black & Decker adjustable-height mower. I love it. Gas mowers need too much maintenance and make a lot of noise. If the edge of your yard is within 100ft or so of your house, go electric.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

During the gas crisis there was an electric riding lawn mower that was made. I don't recall the name right off, but I think some are still around. You might google electric riding lawn mower. If you can get a look at one you might be able to pick up some useful ideas, such as size of electric motor, batteries, etc

michaelburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Registered Member

The GE Elec-Trak is probably the best known (among EV nerds, that is).

Do a search at http://evalbum.com or ... http://www.google.com/custom?site=au...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

Depending on terrain/distance/trees where it'll be used, you might be able to make a corded electric riding mower
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
a corded electric riding mower to me would feel simaler to a bumper car, it would be a great joke tho.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

well, with the grass starting to grow again along w/ the lastest rise in gas prices, this subject may need to be revisited.

after determining how much it will now cost(gas and oil) to mow, might make a green decision and buy a cordless E mower.

anyone want to buy my riding and/or push mower(both gas powered) to help fund this purchase?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

I currently own a 2008 Black & Decker corded mower, and it is perfect for a smaller property. I had been using two older models from Black & Decker, and no problems for many years. I highly recommend the mowers to people who own a smaller property. Easy to use, quiet, and cheap to operate. IMO the perfect mower.
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If you know how much gas it used to take to cut your yard then you can calculate how much battery power you will need. A rough guess would be 9kwh for a gallon of gas burned and a 100amp hour 12 volt battery has about 1.2kwh in it so you can see you need some big batteries!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #19
Registered Member

This isn't a lawnmower, rather a small farm tractor for cultivating, but they detail what they did to convert the machine:
http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/

Here's info on making an electric (battery powered) walk behind mower, actually a couple of versions:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...es.htm#Tractor
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
well, with the grass starting to grow again along w/ the lastest rise in gas prices, this subject may need to be revisited.

after determining how much it will now cost(gas and oil) to mow, might make a green decision and buy a cordless E mower.

anyone want to buy my riding and/or push mower(both gas powered) to help fund this purchase?

I don't have the exact figures in front of me, but from what I recall , mowing your lawn produces the same pollution that an SUV produces over something like 100 miles.
Eventhough the engine is tiny, there are no emissions controls on them.
Gas powered blowers are even worse. I swear I can smell gasoline fumes over 100' from the guys at work when they blow the place.

I'll try to provide a valid source later ( bed time now )

Go Green

Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote