Electric lawn mowers - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #21
Registered Member

yea lawnmowers aren't pollution friendly, but they do last an awful long time.

2 cycle engines usually do stink (weed whackers, blowers, hedge trimmers) only because they burn oil along with the gas (hence why the exhaust is blue) so your prolly not smelling the gas fumes persay but more of the burning oil fumes

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #22
Registered Member

Lots of people with older 2 stroke stuff are probably putting too much oil in the mix... because the factory probably said 16:1 or something with mineral oils, but the new synth 2 stroke oils should be fine in just about anything at 50:1

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #23
Registered Member

yea lawnmowers aren't pollution friendly, but they do last an awful long time.

All the more time to pollute.

2 cycle engines usually do stink (weed whackers, blowers, hedge trimmers) only because they burn oil along with the gas (hence why the exhaust is blue) so your prolly not smelling the gas fumes persay but more of the burning oil fumes

fumes / pollution .... same thing.
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
Registered Member

Thumbs up It mows for me..

Here is my electric robotic lawnmower:
http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/robomow/rl1000/

It works great for me since I am gone from home weeks at a time. If I remember right, they claim it costs 7 dollars a year in electricity to operate. The blades become the main expense IMO.

Jetta90GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
Registered Member

I've a B&D 19 inch battery electric. I picked it up for free at the town recycling drop off center maybe 5 years ago. The sealed, possibly AGM, PbA batteries wouldn't hold a charge worth a darn, maybe 10 minutes if I exagerate. I swapped them out with a pair of larger capacity, unsealed, jet-ski PbA batteries and now get an hour's cut time before dipping the running voltage into the yellow on the "fuel gauge". It's used mostly in the fenced dog's area and for edge trimming where the biodiesel powered rider can't reach. The dogs love it. They trot along side watching it intently. It flushes out all sort of insects and frogs and an occasional mouse or mole that they then dispatch with abandon.
I've also mounted an inverter on the tractor and have an AC powered string trimmer I use from the tractor's saddle. Does that make the trimmer a hybrid?
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #26
Registered Member

well, i've decided to dump the plans to buy an E mower. can't afford it now, nor for a while.

what i plan to do is sell my riding mower to my father-in-law to fund buying a reel mower. this decision is due in large part to comments here about how new tech makes them very user friendly.

there are integrity issues, however...

do i sell the rider(small yard, don't need it) that was GIVEN to me by a friend? and do i SELL it to a family member?

conventional wisdom(and integrity) say no and no. however, money is a major factor. besides, i can charge dad-in-law a nominal price.

thoughts?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #27
Registered Member

Push reel mowers do a really nice cut, but you've gotta keep on top of the mowing with them. They get kinda difficult when the grass gets over a certain height. I've got two sitting in the barn for my attention, better give 'em it and get 'em working. Though it's over 2 years since I filled up my mower can at a pump, seem to keep topping it off with drainings from changing fuel pumps and filters. But I've only got about one mower tank = 2 cuts left in it, and 1 cut left in the mower.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 06-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #28
Registered Member

highly recommend this B&D Mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I currently own a 2008 Black & Decker corded mower, and it is perfect for a smaller property. I had been using two older models from Black & Decker, and no problems for many years. I highly recommend the mowers to people who own a smaller property. Easy to use, quiet, and cheap to operate. IMO the perfect mower.

Black & Decker 18-Inch 6.5 Amp Electric Mower #LM175 by Black & Decker
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #29
Registered Member

I'm still trying to figure out those "5HP" electric mowers...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
do i sell the rider(small yard, don't need it) that was GIVEN to me by a friend? and do i SELL it to a family member?

conventional wisdom(and integrity) say no and no. however, money is a major factor. besides, i can charge dad-in-law a nominal price.
First, ask your friend if he'd be offended. Tell him that it's been working well for you but you think you can do your lawn more efficiently and that your dad-in-law needs it more. He may well be the sort who is happy to see that his gift has worked out so well for you, enabling you to get exactly what you need in your difficult time. Obviously, if you think the question itself might offend him, you won't be able to ask.

Then, if you got his blessing, sell it to your dad-in-law for no more than the cost of the reel mower. That's reasonable, if he's willing (and I'd guess from your plan that he is). You're not trying to rake in some dough, just trying to trade the rider for the reel.

If you were financially comfortable it might be different. At that point you'd buy the reel mower, decide you don't need the rider, and then offer it to him for free.