Electric lawn mowers - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
First, ask your friend if he'd be offended. Tell him that it's been working well for you but you think you can do your lawn more efficiently and that your dad-in-law needs it more. He may well be the sort who is happy to see that his gift has worked out so well for you, enabling you to get exactly what you need in your difficult time. Obviously, if you think the question itself might offend him, you won't be able to ask.

Then, if you got his blessing, sell it to your dad-in-law for no more than the cost of the reel mower. That's reasonable, if he's willing (and I'd guess from your plan that he is). You're not trying to rake in some dough, just trying to trade the rider for the reel.

If you were financially comfortable it might be different. At that point you'd buy the reel mower, decide you don't need the rider, and then offer it to him for free.
i appreciate it!

contrary to what some might think of some of my conservative views, i do try to be selfless, while doing what's best for my family.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 AM   #32
Registered Member

Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower which is of 18-Inch is the best product to clean lawn known to me so far.. It has exclusive StaySharp Cutting System cuts grass without blades touching for long-lasting performance without costly annual blade sharpening.I would definitely recommend this mower if anyone needs or want a manual lawn mower

RaymondJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:03 AM   #33
Registered Member

Got a Fiskars reel mower myself. I like it, but was lazy last season, and was letting the grass get too tall for it to do a thorough, even cut.

For those thinking their yard is too large for a manual mower, you might be wrong in your thinking. The difficult spots for a manual are corners and curvy borders. They don't allow you to build up momentum like a straight pass will. So a large, mostly empty yard can take less effort than a small one with several flower beds.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #34
Registered Member

I used to have a battery powered mower, however it was when they first came out and the battery would be dead halfway through....

Now I have a trusty old reel mower that I sharpen at the beginning of each mowing season. It's quiet, free and better exercise.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #35
Registered Member

Black & Decker MM875 Lawn Hog which is 19-Inch 12 amp Electric Mulching Mower with Rear Bag is one of the best lawn mower brand hub known to me so far.. As I am so much into this field . It requires effortless to start and maintain and it produces zero emissions. Moreover, it is very light weight and easy to use.
Muchend1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 AM   #36
Registered Member

Sun Joe Mow Joe MJ407E 20-Inch Bag/Mulch/Side Discharge Electric Lawn Mower is the best electric lawn mower known to me so far.. Its durable steel blades cuts with precision. It is light, easy to push no pull start. It works great even on the grass that was high enough that my dog got lost in the small backyard.. I am using this mower from last six months.

Mininge1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSiffer View Post
I used to have a battery powered mower, however it was when they first came out and the battery would be dead halfway through....

Now I have a trusty old reel mower that I sharpen at the beginning of each mowing season. It's quiet, free and better exercise.
The Fiskars don't require sharpening by leaving a tiny gap between the blades. The regular sharpening process for most others didn't sound like much of a chore though. I passed over them because most had too low a cutting height for my tastes. The Fiskars is 4in max while the other models I looked at at the time were 2 to 3 inches.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #38
Registered Member

Yes, I'll go ahead and bump this....
Just bought me an electric lawn mower.
First... These lithium ion cordless lawn mowers and other tools have become popular here in the US. They're getting quite competitive.
I didn't buy the newest, highest voltage one on purpose. I confess that the environment wasn't my first consideration either. Nor other many reasons did I buy this primarily. My primary reason is that my backyard is a drop in elevation. I can look in my neighbors second story windows. They are even with my ground floor. That much drop in elevation in 50 feet.
When I bought this home last summer. I bought a used Snapper Commercial mower. 6hp. It is a really good mower. It is also a beast. It weighs 110 pounds. That thing is always trying to roll or slide downhill in my backyard. The self propulsion is second to none. Even going straight uphill. I have to fight it to keep it straight. Keeps wanting to go left or right... then... .... Didn't like having to mow at all. Didn't look forward to mowing period, when I bought this house. ... Doh!
I decided not to listen to common wisdom out there. They always say ya gotta have self propulsion with a hill. I found out this is in error.
I bought a Black and Decker, model 2040, 40v lithium ion, cordless mower. I instantly found out my thinking is correct. It is wonderful mowing all over that hill. It weighs 43 pounds. It's quiet. It's wonderful. I'm so glad I bought this mower. Now I don't dread mowing the lawn. It's more like taking a nice walk. No stress. No noise. No manhandling a beast. I've also become more eco friendly.
Now there are 'better' cordless mowers out there right now. Higher voltages, etc. Even one good one that is self propelled (but it weighs 76 pounds). B&D just came out with a 60V max line of mower and garden tools. One thing I noticed in the stores. These higher voltage tools. The battery compartment is the size of a small shoe box. I think they're going a little over the top on these. I like the size of the 40V. Also the price (big grin). Mostly the design of my mower is with a very low center of gravity on weight. What there is of it. I can also run the lightest possible with it. The B&D 60V requires you to use two batteries.
All in all. I'm extremely happy with my B&D 2040. Mowing this year will be a pleasure, for once. I also went ahead and got the combo weed eater and blower. Both the same 40V max as the mower. Good prices on all. Very happy with what I got. And I'm Mr. Ecology Gardener now. Not to mention saving money and stress.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #39
Registered Member

I know the first instinct upon considering it is "no", and there are valid reasons for for not getting it, but a corded mower can be a better solution for some yards. No batteries means it will likely be lighter without the eventual battery replacement/refurbishment. Then corded stuff will have a steady power output, and tends to have more of it than a battery powered unit.

I don't have an electric mower, but the wife's suggestion of an electric snow blower(I don't think cordless is an option for them) made up for insisting on a self-propelled mower for our tiny yard.