Electric Power Steering Pumps... Thoughts? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cool Electric Power Steering Pumps... Thoughts?

One part of the Dodge Dakota Hybrid that I am building will be adding an electric power steering pump.

You can find these all over Ebay and I just found this awesome auction listing featuring photos of an install.

Check it and out and let me know what you think!
*Caution: Ebay Listing Link Below*
Electric Power Steering Pump Listing

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

Why not just an electric power steering assist, like what is found on the Saturn Ion I drive?

froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

doesnt that suck alot of power when you use it? the yaris has it but its a small car, if a bigger, heavier car has it, it will put a huge load on the electrical system
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
Why not just an electric power steering assist, like what is found on the Saturn Ion I drive?
Electric power steering assist systems are new to me. I wonder how easy they are to install on another vehicle?

The steering column in Dakota's is not built to handle the mechanical power steering for long. I used to run my 2004 Dakota at the drag strip without power steering, but you could feel the column flex while driving.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

It wouldn't surprise me if you could find a manual rack from a dart, aspen, volare etc base model that will fit.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Supporting Member

$260. Ouch! I could fab something using my existing pump cheaper.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #7

I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx (41.8 MPG on our last highway trip, btw - this for a vehicle that weighs 3476 pounds - well in excess of 4000 pounds with passenger, driver, full tank of gas and whatever we are hauling) is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.

The other drawback is the car doesn't go if the stereo is broken. Other than that I don't know of any vehicle getting basically the same mileage as a CRX that weighs nearly twice what the CRX does.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.
Perhaps the electric power steering from the Silverado hybrid would do? It's built for a much bigger, heavier vehicle.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
Registered Member

I would also check the wiring around the power steering pump. Ensure that the pump is getting adequate ground by running another wire to the frame near the pump. You can also add a heavier guage cable to for the pump's main positive feed. Finally, make sure your battery is holding a charge. You should have at least 12.6 volts with the engine off.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
I can tell you that the electric pump on my wife's Malibu Maxx (41.8 MPG on our last highway trip, btw - this for a vehicle that weighs 3476 pounds - well in excess of 4000 pounds with passenger, driver, full tank of gas and whatever we are hauling) is one of the two drawbacks of this vehicle. If there is not enough juice, then it is choppy steering, and may lock up. Am thinking of getting a regular pump off of a 2007 and putting it on instead.

The other drawback is the car doesn't go if the stereo is broken. Other than that I don't know of any vehicle getting basically the same mileage as a CRX that weighs nearly twice what the CRX does.

Is it an actual hydraulic pump with power steering fluid that is driven by an electric motor, or is it like on the Ion's where there is a motor connected to the steering column under the dash?

froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote