Inflatable electric car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Inflatable electric car

http://www.physorg.com/news131804347.html

I am a sceptical as to how practical this is for a number of reasons, but it is food for thought.

I have worked with PVC fabric for boats and believe it would not be impossible for the experimenter to build a body using it over an aluminum and wood frame. The hard part would be making one that was not ugly.

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Old 06-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #3

Might be a good alternative if we can get the big SUVs off the road.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh, yeah. I forgot about those SUVs... and the semis. A semi can blow a good sized car off the road.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
Registered Member

Can I have it inflated with nitrogen allowing me to have green air fill caps on each of the multiple chambers?
Or helium to reduce the load and tire deflection?

The practice is used for RIB, rigid inflatable boats, having a hard keel and transom for structure and propulsion support. A similar blending with a more traditional chassis but an inflatable skin might be the intent. I doubt it would be lighter than a more traditional steel panel body. Steel can be quite thin and hold a shape. An inflatable has to have two surfaces (to provide an interior volume) and enough thickness to resist most punctures. These constraints will likely make the inflatable body heavier than a steel one.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
Registered Member

I'll reserve judgement until I see how the concept is executed, looks a bit like vaporware at the moment. The materials tech should be in shape, hovercraft skirts take some punishment for example.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Not to make this into a boat forum, but I did build a 12' prototype that was across between model airplane construction and the Chrysler Airflow frame (plywood bulkheads and PVC pipe) that weighed 22 pounds when completed.
http://dosbeowulf.tripod.com/Calico/me_and_frame.jpg

However, it was Dacron skinned and not inflatable. In another thread someone was musing about a slip over body to help with aerodynamics. Anyhow, it is just a thought.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

Just thinking that the ideal "aftermarket" for this type of thing might be an aero scooter/motorcycle canopy.... I could see doing it with 4 inflatable tubular ribs with high transparency sheet fill coated with rain-x or similar....

Might be able to do a boat tail like that, with a single tubular rib hoop.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
mjo
Registered Member

I would buy this car so that I could fill it with helium and then drive off a mountain.
mjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hmmm...can you then deflate the car and fold it into a suitcase like George Jetson's car?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote