Question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi, I am a new owner of the Model 3, which I love.
It drives smooth, it looks awesome and for now I cannot speak of anything that annoys me. I do not knowq, whether it will perform well in winter, and how the batteries will act when it gets colder, but I can post back if you are interested.
Now, let me ask the other Tesla owners, did you manage to find normal floor mats? As the ones that came with the vehicle will be of no good soon, and I do not feel I want to keep it in the garage for winter. As I said, I will keep on watching the batteries...
Cheers,
Rob

RobOnTesla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

You'll lose range in the winter for the same reasons that an ICE car's fuel efficiency drops during that time. On top of that, range will drop due to cabin heating. BEVs don't have that ICE to tap into for waste heat.

In terms of battery health, hot is worse than cold. There is a risk of damaging Li-ion during charging when the battery cells are at actually at freezing temperatures, but Tesla's warm their packs for efficient charging.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yea, that's what I thought... I believe that's pretty much like my iPhone battery. It dies quickly when it's freezing. The diealer didn't say or warn me against ant dangerof charging the Model 3 in winter. And as you said, I assume they have got certain mechanisms that allow keeping batteries at optimal temperatures when they are being charged.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
LDB
Registered Member

Congrats on the new car. I don't have one but will be interested to follow your reports. Have you checked WeatherTech for mats? Their's are the best in my opinion but no clue if they have a set for your car yet.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobOnTesla3 View Post
Yea, that's what I thought... I believe that's pretty much like my iPhone battery. It dies quickly when it's freezing. The diealer didn't say or warn me against ant dangerof charging the Model 3 in winter. And as you said, I assume they have got certain mechanisms that allow keeping batteries at optimal temperatures when they are being charged.
The risk of charging at freezing temperatures is well known for Li-ion, and safety measures are built into the safety circuits of the batteries. Most plug ins have a heater of some type to get the pack above freezing for charging. The few PHEVs that don't simply charge at a very low rate until the pack temperature rises.

Cars with a liquid thermal management system, like Tesla and GM, will heat the pack to a temperature that is efficient for charging, and will cool it as needed during the process.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Congrats on the new car. I don't have one but will be interested to follow your reports. Have you checked WeatherTech for mats? Their's are the best in my opinion but no clue if they have a set for your car yet.
Hi and thanks!
I actually thought of weathertechs, and I have these mats in my F-150 truck, they look cool. But to me, they look cool in a truck, and will look to commercial in the Model 3. Yea, I saw Weathertechs are available for the Model3, but I thought I will pick them if I do not find anything that will look more claccic, you know, without those lines, not that rugged...
On the other Tesla forum I saw people discussed 3d max, but noone posted real pictures of these mats in their Model 3 yet. In the generic pics, the mats look nice, and have those raised edges I was thinking of. Yet, this seems to be some new brand, as I've never heared of these guys before...
https://3d-maxpider.com/floor-liners...a-model-3.html
What stops me from purchasing a set is 5-week shipping delay they have everywhere, even on Amazon. So I will be looking for more options, and will post if I find something that deserves attention.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

I had those all weather 3D maxpider mats in the Sonic. The surface texture was wearing off the driver's one after 3 years, otherwise they held up well.

I'm guessing their Model 3 mats are just going into production, thus the delay.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yea, that's what I think, as I placed my order on Amazon and they canceled my order as the mats were not in stock... So I guess I will be waiting until they make a decent number of these mats for the Model 3, and will try ordering again. At least now I know, that the mats are worth the wait....
Old 08-27-2019, 02:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hey there, just a quick note. I got the mats, they are great, and I love everything except of the logo. Now, the weird thing is, that the manufacturer knows many people hate that logo and still void the warranty if you remove it! So weird...
Even their official website has instructions on what to do if you want the logo removed, painted, tinted, etc.
https://floor-liners.com/reviews.html
I was just wondering why don't they remove it right from the factory for their customers.