Solar Battery Maintainer - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Solar Battery Maintainer

would this be a practical tool to help w/ EOC?...

http://www.northerntool.com/stores/a...ine&market=ORL

it's on page 4 at the bottom. sorry, i couldn't get a direct link. i quit EOC, due to battery issues, except ending a trip, so...

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
jmf
Registered Member

It's a battery maintainer not a charger. It replaces the power lost by just sitting. I have one of those I put on my lawn tractor when I don't use it for a while. I think it helps?

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
It's a battery maintainer not a charger. It replaces the power lost by just sitting. I have one of those I put on my lawn tractor when I don't use it for a while. I think it helps?
i understand fully what it is, but would it help the longevity of a battery using EOC? even when i end a trip w/ engine off, for example, if i try to restart w/in several minutes, it is a little slow to turn over.

i could try it w/out wasting too much $$$. we have a car that sits for long periods of time anyway. getting out the charger every time bites.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
It sounds like your battery is old and worn out.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
It sounds like your battery is old and worn out.
nope. it is fairly new, and it did do it the very first day. i'll reiterate, it turns over a LITTLE slow.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

For EOC, I don't see that item making much difference, especially if you have a new battery. I doubt that it would take more than a few seconds to return the same amount of power to the battery that a 1.8 watt solar charger would put in in an hour. For maintaining the battery on a car that sits for a long time between uses, however, it sounds like a great idea.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

The biggest killer of batteries is overcharging.

I see motorhomes and power boats with bad batteries all the time. The lead acid batteries are all bowed on the sides which is a sign of constant charging.

That being said, a battery maintainer should keep the voltage from going above a certain value. If this product does that and you keep the solar charger connected 24/7, then yes this is a worthwhile investment.

rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote