Tesla watch out... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Tesla watch out...

Until now, Tesla has been the pick of the bunch if you want a luxury, fast EV. Well Tesla better up their game, as the competition is catching up fast! British manufacturer Jaguar has announced that it's ipace electric vehicle will be arriving later on in 2018, maybe hitting showrooms before Telsa's model 3 will?

Boasting about 400 HP, and 700 NM of instant torque, with a 0-60 sprint time of 4 seconds, and an official range of 300 miles (220-250 real world) not to mention superior design, build quality and luxury, and styling that already makes a Tesla look a bit dated, this may just persuade a few of the 400,000 customers who pre-ordered a model 3 to reconsider. The 90 KW battery can be charged to 80% in just 90 minutes.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
LDB
Registered Member

I'll gladly say yes and thank you when they ask if they can give me one. But 23" wheels? Come on. Put 17" on it and get that much more range and performance.

LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've always thought that, but think about having one small wheel and one huge wheel next to each other on the ground. If you roll them both lets say a quarter of a turn, the big wheel will travel further. I read somewhere that on a normal ICE car, larger rims will harm performance, but you may gain a MPG or two.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Putting a tire with a larger diameter than stock could increase fuel economy by making the final gear ratio taller.

When the overall diameter is unchanged, a larger wheel will hurt fuel economy by increasing unsprung weight. Tesla reports the 21" wheels result in about a 3% reduction from EPA range, which used the 19" wheels for testing. It looks like that Jaguar has rubber bands for tires. Dropping wheel size with a taller tire side wall, and it can improve its range.

Any price announced? If this Jaguar BEV is near Model S territory, I don't think Model 3 people are going to jumps ship.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

Havn't seen any prices yet, but given its a Jaguar and no doubt developed and built in the UK, it's bound to be at the top end of the market, maybe even more expensive than a Model S?

One thing that bugs me a bit is the huge grill, EV's don't need a grill, although I think the batteries are liquid cooled in this, but otherwise, a grill just creates more drag.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

The main grill looks like it might be a faux one with mesh filled in. Tesla did that at first, but now have pure sheet metal. Even the Ioniq Electric replaces the hybrid version's grill with a smooth piece.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yep, that's one way to distinguish the ioniq hybrid V's the full electric, the solid grill. Interestingly the ioniq is the first car to offer full hybrid, plug in and full electric apparently, although it's already outdated as far as range is concerned, with the updated Renault Zoe, Nissan leaf and new VW egolf trumping it's range.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

The 2017 Leaf no longer has the base 85 mile range, but is 107 for all the trims here. The redesign for 2018 will be in the 200 mile range.

The Ioniq Electric has 124 miles on the EPA test, and Hyundai says a 200 mile option will be available for 2018.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Another Tesla rival that the big EV company should be worried about. Boy those things are quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm_CCR5tnRQ

Old 01-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #10
Registered Member

More info:

Faraday Future (FF) has launched its first production model - the FF 91 - which will look to compete with Tesla and new models from established marques in the luxury electric car market.

Revealed before at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2017 in Las Vegas, the new model is pitched as a 'new species' of cars by FF, with an extensive electric range, high power output, and advanced autonomous driving capabilities.

With a 0-60mph time of just 2.39 seconds, the FF 91 trumps its Tesla Model X rival by a tenth of a second or so, thanks to an all-wheel drive system that has 783 kW (1,050hp) at its disposal. This should be more than enough for the FF 91 to keep pace with forthcoming models such as the Porsche Mission E, Jaguar I-Pace, and Audi e-tron quattro too.

Using a 130 kWh battery, the FF 91 will cover 378 miles from a US test cycle estimate, or an expected European figure of more than 435 miles (700km+). In reality, the US-based EPA tests prove more accurate for real world usage.

Using the company's new VPA flexible powertrain and architecture system, the FF 91 uses multiple electric motors on the axles to create torque vectoring on each wheel, which will help agility in the corners too.

Charging speeds are quoted at being the fastest around too at with 500 miles of range per hour of charge quoted, and the FF home charger will get the car to a 50% charge in less than 4.5 hours at 240V.

The interior of the FF 91 has largely been driven by two priorities - autonomous capabilities and luxury. Ergonomics are said to be class leading, with NASA-inspired 'zero-gravity' reclining seats offered, making the most of high levels of occupant space. Smart dimming glass will see the glass roof, rear and side windows tint for shade and privacy when tapped on.

In car connectivity looks to give the user access to apps and content from the rest of their daily life, remembering personal profiles and personalising the experience with the FF EcoSystem. Facial recognition technology will also be included, allowing drivers to unlock the car without a key thanks to a camera in the car's B-pillar. Interior cameras identify drivers and automatically change settings to pre-saved preferences.

The FF 91 will be the first production car to use 3D lidar, which is part of a system of 10 high definition cameras, 13 long and short range radars, and 12 ultrasonic sensors which combine to offer autonomous driving ability. A 'Driverless Valet' feature will park the car itself after the driver has climbed out of the car, and can be summoned to pick them up again later on or schedule a time and location to meet them.

Orders are being taken now, with production set to start in 2018. A refundable deposit of $5,000 (just over £4,000) will put your name on the list, with the first 300 orders able to upgrade to a launch series in March 2017. The proportion of the 'Alliance Edition' special edition will be donated to an environmental fund, and the first FF 91 Alliance Edition will be auctioned in March, with all proceeds also donated to charity

- See more at: FF 91 launched at CES | Next Green Car