Tesla's new Model 3 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
Registered Member

I read that production will start at the end of 2017 and they will be sold early 2018.

The 2016 Tesla Model X:

This is the updated 2017 Tesla Model S:

luv2spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #12
Registered Member

I saw a Model S in the flesh the other day, was very impressed. The stats for it very impressive. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds 155 top end, obviously the batteries don't last long driven like that .

I was also reading comments from Model S owners, one was saying he has swapped is Jaguar XJ for a Model S and is saving some £5,000 a year in fuel costs. And I would imagine the servicing is a lot cheaper too as there is very little to go wrong.

Once the infrastructure is in place for charging, battery cars will be a lot more prolific. Where I work, there are about 1,000 people in the business park, there are regularly 2 Nissan Leafs in the car park. If you could park at work and charge your car, even if you have to pay, it might take a long time to charge, but if you are at work for 7-8 hours you will get a good charge in that time, and it's actually more convenient than having to stop at a petrol station on the way home.

For me, personally, an Electric car would work 100%, given that we have to have 2 cars in the family. But they are out of my price range at the moment, maybe one day...

Oliver

OliverGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #13
Registered Member

I should imagine most electric cars are still a novelty for most, cost and infrastructure being the main hold backs. But in a decade or so, I think most people will be considering an electric car as cost scaling and material resourcing will bring the costs down enough, and the government will be investing heavily in extra infrastructure for more rural areas. I too would have to charge at work, would have to come to some kind of agreement with my boss

I read an ad on Autotrader for a leaf, in downtown London, an electric car can potentially save up to £9000 a year on congestion charge, fuel, parking etc (free parking for electric cars) which is why the uptake has been mostly in dense cities like this.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #14
Registered Member

That model S is a beautiful car, can see why it could replace a Jag! Bet it looks a lot better in black or midnight blue. I see a Renault Zoe pass me sometimes each way, on the same country roads/A roads I take, so must be doing at least a 40 mile daily commute. Seen a Leaf or two, there was even a Vauxhall Ampera for sale at a car supermarket. Most common Hybrid I see are Mitsubishi PHEVs (or the same one everywhere!)
PS - I sounded my boss out about a plug in charger at work a year ago, even as the top salesman I got a definite no!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
Registered Member

The reason you see so many of the Mitsubishi Outlander is because it's the best selling plug in Hybrid in the UK. They priced it the same as the diesel which is clever, as usually the hybrid/plug in variant is way more expensive. At least it was anyway, now the government has cut the grants by 50% there's been a slight price hike, sales may slow a little.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

I was just looking around online. Of course, here in the US there are all kinds of articles on the fastest car. Hardly anything on economy.
I ran across this article. Hope it opens to the right page. 8 cars faster than they look. The Tesla S came in. I couldn't help but laugh. It can do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. But that is with the 'ludicrous speed option'. Hehe.... reminds me of the movie: "Space Balls" when he yells out for ludicrous speed! I can imagine a Tesla S owner doing just that! hehe
8 Cars That Are Much Faster Than They Look - Part 9
Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #17
Registered Member

"Space Balls" was the inspiration for the name
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

Tesla 3 video and the Gigafactory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIh2...Q&spfreload=10
luv2spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

I wonder how ethicaly sourced the building materials/construction are? A place that big would have a massive carbon footprint, I know a fair bit about the cars, but am yet to learn about the ethics of the company. I didn't see many solar panels or wind turbines, but maybe they have not been fitted yet.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

I thought this was impressive.
Tesla’s inherent safety saves five joyriding teenagers in Germany | Ars Technica