What is the best bicycle motor? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #21
Registered Member

Wouldn't a small PbA battery deliver more power with less loss due to internal resistance? I don't know much about this stuff, so I'm really just asking for my own curiosity...

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Wouldn't a small PbA battery deliver more power with less loss due to internal resistance? I don't know much about this stuff, so I'm really just asking for my own curiosity...
what is a PbA battery?
the Nickel-metal Hydride batterys seem pretty good, reasonably affordable, 90% efficiency, 90% recyclability, good energy to weight ratio, ok cycle life, sure lithium-ion are lighter and slightly more compact, but there cost is a tiping point.
but the more I think about it I'm open to other ideas for a battery pack, the motor controler has a big plug coming off of it going to the battery pack, so if I can find more plugs like that with pig tails, then I can have more then one battery pack, at some point maybe make a trailer with a big battery pack in it, and enough room to haul stuff.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #23
*shrug*

PbA is plumbus acid (damn latin spelling), or lead acid.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
Registered Member

The quanity of batteries that I need is so small in comparison to a larger EV so I'm willing to look at slightly more exspensive battery choices, I could even go as far as to get lithium, spend about $450 for 4 DeWalt 36 volt packs off Ebay, and I might even do that, I just want to do a test rides on a bike that has them first.
Lead acid just seems outdated, inefficient, heavy, and they have a short life, useing a battery that doesn't like to be discharged lower then 20%, and is made with lead on a vehicle that you want to be able to pedal as well just seems silly.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #25
*shrug*

What do you think it would take to electrify something like the met or perhaps a ruckus? The dry weight on a met including the engine is 137, about 170 for a ruck.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
What do you think it would take to electrify something like the met or perhaps a ruckus? The dry weight on a met including the engine is 137, about 170 for a ruck.
those normaly have the drive train intergrated in to the rear swing arm, and have an extreamly light step thru frame.
if you wanted more speed, I would say go with a motorcycle that has a bad engine, something 2 stroke as those are short lived and normaly pretty light for going fast, but sturdy, again, for going fast.
the other option is something simaler to what I'm doing, and use a bicycle, because at least in this state, a bicycle has to only apply to bicycle laws, as long as you can remove the motor, or engine, and that you doing go over 35mph, so no licensing, no insurance, park it in bike racks, and parts are commen.