WrightSpeed Electric Monster! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Electric and Solar powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
WrightSpeed Electric Monster!

So, I was interning with a group of people that periodically had people come in to give talks about what they do, show off some bleeding edge tech, etc. We had the gentleman that designed/builds the Zilla controller give a talk on motor controller design, some folks give a talk on design evolution (where you have a program "mate" the best designs, analyze/test them, repeat - this was shown on antenna design, but applicable to anything), the man from Wrightspeed etc.

Watch this Video

So, Wrightspeed has some great ideas - unfortunately, I gotta leave it at that. But check out the website.

Now, Writspeed also has the fasted, by acceleration, electric car - built using an Ariel Atom chassis, using Lithium batteries and the AC propulsion motor controller.
Equivalent Fuel economy: 170mpg
0-60: 3.07 seconds
0-30: 1.35 seconds
Just a tad over 1500 pounds
top speed ~105-112 - limited by 1 gear
Range: 150 miles (I think that was it)

The thing sounds like a little RC car too If you want some other awesome videos, search google videos for wrightspeed, it beats a Gallardo, Carrera GT, 360 Spider, and we were told he's having trouble arranging races as he's beating the crap out of everyone. If the roads were straight, he'd be beaten by these guys based on final top speed - but when there's turns, even motorcycles can't keep up

Just thought you'd be interested

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah, it sucks living within 150 miles of Otmar and Brammo, and not being able to afford either!!!

When I win our local lottery, perhaps . .

Ok, so the Zillas really aren't that expensive, but it's still more than I have to spend right now.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post

Ok, so the Zillas really aren't that expensive, but it's still more than I have to spend right now.
+6 month waiting list - which, according to Otmar, is about how long it takes to train someone to build the controller well.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Damn... Fair it and shove that little diesel/box VW had in mind for the 1L car in there. The diesel provides most of the range/energy requirements, while the electric motor can blow cars away. I mean, it'd be what, a ton? Still plenty fast imo, and it'd have range equal to however much fuel was onboard.

One of the videos has it racing a Ferrari and a Porsche. I'm pretty sure that since the Porsche saw the Ferrari get beat so soundly, they arranged to take it from a roll.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote