80cc gas conversion kit - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

80cc gas conversion kit

Not quite people powered. More like people/gas hybrid.

I posted my adventures and mis-adventures with it here:
http://flapdoodledinghy.com/80cc.html

It claims 150 MPG, but I bet I can tweak that up.

The idea originally was to keep the bike light so I could get it into the trunk of my car, but now wondering about adding an electric motor hub to the front wheel.

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

I wouldn't count on 150 mpg. I've got the Dax 50cc kit and I'm lucky to get 80 mpg with it - but that might have more to do with winding it out than if I actually obeyed the 15 mph speed limit for motor assisted bicycles in Oregon.

It's allot of fun though. Mine is built on a recycling center special that I put together from numerous junk bikes. I found a cruiser for $2 earlier this year that I thought about putting it on, but it would ruin the cruiser IMO.

My favorite motored bike site is motoredbikes.com. (Same username.)

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the link Snax. Lots of good info there.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have one of those, currently attached to bicycle but not hooked up.

Afew pieces of advice- first, it does not mount to any bike frame. I finally got it on my mountain bike, but you have to be creative, get a lot of lock washers, little blocks of wood, nuts, bolts, spare inner tube material to sort of make things fit, ect... It can be a pain in the *** depending on the bike.

Next, make sure you got a really big bike. Size the engine up to the bike with the carb on. this is important. Otherwise, your going to have to mess around with pipes to move your carb/intake. I always see complete ones sold on those cruiser bicycles, so I think they are designed to fit those.

Lastly, your normal pedals might not clear the engine. Mine don't clear it by like 1 centimeter. There are wider cranks and pedal arms that bend outwards to solve this problem.

oh, and it's actually a 66cc engine, so better for fuel economy, not as good for power. The 150 mpg is probably exaggerated, but the millage is at the ridiculously good "who gives a crap" point anyways.
Lorena_Palin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
QDM
Registered Member

I've built a few of those for myself and friends. If you get them installed correctly they work pretty well. The problem is everyone who rides one want's to go fast, forgetting they're on a bicycle instead of a motorcycle. The added weight, vibration, and speed makes them pretty dangerous. My advice to anyone riding one of these is to keep the speed down and wear protective gear.

Q
QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Gloves, long pants, helmet at a minimum if you like to push things. Unlike a regular bicycle, a mechanical failure has a much higher potential to throw you. The chain on these things is beefy enough to lock up the rear wheel no problem, and I've seen a few postings of frames simply fatiguing and breaking.

In other words, treat it like a real motorcycle. It can certainly screw a person up as bad as one.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member

These things pollute like crazy and so it drives me nuts when one tries to pass me. So I don't let them!

1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote