"Bicyclists think they own the road!" - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well I could not believe it until it was pointed out to me. The Idaho code specifically states that bicyclists do not need to stop at red lights and stop sighns. They obviously need to procede with caution. Your state may have similar laws. I think this is a suprise to many people. It was to me. Ignorance of these laws leads to some of the flak the bicyclists get. They really are not breaking the law but it is a peculiar law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
I dunno about Japan, but over in the states, bikers don't interfere with traffic, they are traffic. I don't see people give the same kind of chit to slow moving vehicles like tractors or certain types of large trucks, probably because they could crush their car like a tun can. I've tried to cycle where I'm hugging the curb and follow all the r00ls, and where I'm out, occasionally running reds, and asserting myself. Lemme tell y'all, it's way better giving yourself a couple more feet from the curb and not bothering to wait around in urban situations, provided the coast is clear, so to speak. Maybe it was because of my location and attire, but I've run reds/stops in front of cops np... There is a fundamental difference between breaking the law in a vehicle that can easily hurt others, and one that can only endanger yourself, which is why we don't need a license or insurance to ride our bikes.

snip

Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post
Well I could not believe it until it was pointed out to me. The Idaho code specifically states that bicyclists do not need to stop at red lights and stop sighns. They obviously need to procede with caution. Your state may have similar laws. I think this is a suprise to many people. It was to me. Ignorance of these laws leads to some of the flak the bicyclists get. They really are not breaking the law but it is a peculiar law.
Just to clarify, the Idaho law is that red lights are treated as stop signs (come to a complete stop, yield, then proceed unless turning right) and stop signs are treated as yield signs (slow down, look for traffic, then proceed).

I think that Idaho is the only state that is ahead of the game. Anybody else state code work this way?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
I think that Idaho is the only state that is ahead of the game. Anybody else state code work this way?
I know CA isn't like this. We are supposed to follow all the same rules of the road. I think that cops are more likely to pick on the "recreational" cyclist because they probably have enough money to pay for the ticket. As a utility cyclist, we're probably not targeted as long as we aren't a-holes because we can look a bit lackluster, or for all they know, we're homeless. And even if we are biking to our job, picking on someone who can't afford a car is pretty f'ed up in the eyes of most, due to the economic class divide down here.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Hello -

Since bicycles can't reach the same posted speed limits as cars and motorcycles, I think they do pose a risk, but mostly to themselves. They have the right, but is it really worth asserting in terms of one's life? Since their lives are at greater risk, I'll make allowances, but it doesn't make sense to me. At least a motorcycle can function normally in traffic.

I had a friend go on a group cross-country bicycle trip from LA to DC. At least 3 people killed along the way, maybe one or two killed by trucks. What's the point?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
Registered Member

I agree. Recreational touring is just plain dangerous. I've done it on a very limited basis and it scared the hell out of me. Many drivers just don't get it that they are literally driving within inches of your life.

That said, when it comes to rules of the road, at times one can either choose to be denied their right, or they choose to be dead right. It's a 'gun beats knife' sort of deal. Regardless, I've often thought about how hard I would have to bunny hop to get up and over cars turning into my way from side streets. When push comes to shove, I'd rather roll, tumble, or slide over than get lodged underneath, so people better be prepared to pay for some body work if they cut me off too close.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

I've biked 43,000 miles and never been hit by a car. I'm smart, quick to react, defensive, confident and not afraid to get extremely close to cars (sometimes make contact if neccessary). I believe this comfort level and skill is a result of my years racing in the higher level categories in road cycling. You learn a lot about bike handling when you are bumping handlebars with other riders at 40mph.

Anyways, I don't think road cycling is dangerous. I often make it more dangerous to myself by having some fun opening it up on downhills, but that's it.

When I hear about riders getting hit, it's usually the slower, older guys who either can't react well or aren't good bike handlers. I'm 22, been riding for 8 years....
GasSavers_veloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
I think the same thing can be said here for bikes and scooters in Japan. As a driver/rider, if you can’t reach the speed limit, you are a danger to yourself, and to everyone else on the road. Almost every other day there is a scooter or bike ridden by an old man or woman in the middle of the road, going 5 kmph, causing backups on residential roads. There are also the same old people, on scooters, going 15 under the speed limit, causing the same problems, on major roads. There are sidewalks on residential streets for a reason, and if the scooter will push 40, and the speed limit is 60, then you better be prepared to get killed because you are putting yourself and others in danger.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

Patience is a virtue.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

For those of you who "hate" cyclists who run stop lights or stop signs, do you feel the same way towards drivers who do the same thing? I haven't run across a state yet that does not give cyclists the same rights as any other vehicle on the road. Many states publish guides to riding safely including tips like riding a third of the way into the lane, how to signal for turns, etc. I usually carry a few of these pamphlets to hand to people who insist that cyclists don't belong on the road.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Not because I've had any real run-ins with rude or mean drivers, but because of the simple inaccuracy of the implication.

We, as citizens of our respective countries do in fact own the public roads. It is not limited to those who insist on driving, but every single one of us, adults, children, drivers, bicyclists, pedestrians, and everybody else not in that list. The roads are in the public right of way and are part of the commons. In other words, land owned by the citizens and maintained in the public trust.

Additionally, our amount of contribution to the maintenance of public roads through taxation is therefore a relatively moot point when you consider the wear and tear costs, as well as maintenance costs associated with bicycle useage on the roadways. Yeah, I DON'T pay a gas tax, but I also don't roll a 1 to 3 ton vehicle over the road every day either. I'm fairly certain that my contribution to pothole formation pales in comparison to that. Nevermind the endless days of having to navigate the debris cast off into the bike lane and left to destroy my tires by street sweeping crews.
Well, I'm not sure about "a public trust", but road taxes, collected on taxes for gasoline, diesel, registrations, and all actually contribute directly to roads.

Motorcycles have a substantial different physical print and load on the road, but their taxes, based on registration costs from my experience, are not reflected in as substantial difference in their registration costs.

I would argue given the programs of registrations that have become the tradition of some socialized programs in government, bicyclists should contribute to "the public" trust.

And it doesn't help when one comes over a hill on a two lane road with no shoulder where it's a 55MPH zone with two bicyclists riding side by side. I'd kick my kids for that in addition to the running through stop signs.

Additionally, where's their proof of insurance?