Bike Mileage Competition & Today's Ride - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
*shrug*

I'm pretty sure he is. I'm just waiting for people like him and kickflip to post in here. I'll be more buggersome once the new year hits though.

My day's ride: Went to vermont with some girl to scout out routes for my friend an I to bike down to MA some weekend, and all was well until her tire went flat and she didn't have a schrader valve so we couldn't pump it up and had to have some nice vermonters take us home in their van. The ride was really nice and I hit 36.6 mph on a downhill before I hit the brakes to let her catch up. I'll go for pegging 40 next time...

Anyone know how to get my rear rim really straight? It's always got the tiniest amount of wobble...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_14170_true-bike-wheel.html

You don't need the special tools/stand. If you understand the concept, you can do it on the bike and use the brake pads as the reference.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
*shrug*

Thanks meng. Seems like I have some reading to do!
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I'm up to 851 km. Hoping to break 1000 km before the snow flies. Not bad for a free bike. Hard to beat that cost per mile!
Food=$$/mile compared to an electric bicycle and $/kWh. Especially if ya got free batteries.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Food=$$/mile compared to an electric bicycle and $/kWh. Especially if ya got free batteries.
Meh... Food is cheap Plus, you need to eat anyway Just think about all the savings you'll have on medical expenses - assuming you don't crash and no-one merges into you o.0 Oh, and awesome calves

-------
Interestingly, Humans are only slightly more efficient than IC engines Well, fit humans are at least (no more than 25% efficient).

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #16
Registered Member

Not as cheap as electricity, especially since something that uses as little energy as bike can be had from small scale solar or wind generation. I mean, biking for about 5 miles/day is where the most benefit is seen for health IIRC. After that, we just incur the heavy fossil fuel penalty associated with most food production.

P.s. We only need to burn it off if we over eat and over the thousands of miles I've ridden my calves have stayed the same mas o menos.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
*shrug*

So I will need to adjust the spokes to fix the slight wobble in my rim? Is it possible the problem arises from it being a brand new rim? I was wondering if I just have it clamped down a little bit crooked.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

Just make sure it's seated right in the drop outs and then tension the spokes till it's true.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Not as cheap as electricity...
Perhaps... But, if we exercise to stay healthy AND ride our EV to get where we need.... Something tells me we'll be eating the same and paying for electricity Unless of course someone wants to show that it's better for one to not exercise and ride an EV....

Quote:
over the thousands of miles I've ridden my calves have stayed the same mas o menos.
Bugger

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #20
Registered Member

Anyone know how to get my rear rim really straight? It's always got the tiniest amount of wobble...[/QUOTE]

When you do the adjustment, don't try to make it all at one time and do it in segments, sort of like 1/3 of the spokes at a time. They all interact with each other and it's really easy to try to tweak something and over compensate.

You can use a couple of clothes line pins and playing cards to put a temporary reference next to the rim, to use for the alignment. I found I had difficulty when it got fairly fine, using just the brake pads. Good Luck

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote