Bike Mileage Competition & Today's Ride - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #21
Registered Member

I can drive 400 kms in about 4 to 6 hours without eating. I'll use $40 in gas and I'll have 4 out of 5 seats covered.

I can cycle 400 kms in 18 to 24 hours but I'm pretty sure that it usually costs about $50 to 80 in food. It also means that about 10 - 20% of a $90 cassette and $80 chain get used up along with 10% of a $50 front tire, and 20% of a $50 rear tire.

And I used to think motorcycling was expensive... hehe

Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I have yet to replace my chain on the 3000+ miles I've logged on my bike Who knows how many miles I did before getting a cyclocomputer and how many miles the bike had before I bought it at a garage sale I still have the original cassette - no need to replace any time soon My expenses on my bike since it was purchased have been roughly $100 including the $35 to buy. I've spent more on oil changes for my car since I bought that bike

Equipment costs can be expensive - if you're going for a high performance bike But it doesn't have to be that way (hell, I'm riding on a lugged steel frame ).

The better comparison would be to compare a scenario when you're likely to be substituting saddle time... How much will it cost you in fuel to do four 3 mile trips (all starting with a cold engine) daily for a week.

It's not like these expenses go away if you converted your bike to a lightweight EV

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #23
Registered Member

Yes, mid-range Campy and a heavy rolleur rider, with a bag, lights etc. The total weight affects the life of the drivetrain items, especially from the affects of climbing.

Short rides, no contest!

You should use a chain measurement device if you don't already do. Ride too long on your chain and it'll mess up the chainwheels on crank (I did, ouch$). I've always coveted the Rohloff hub with a real chain - 14 speeds, all with the same ratio change and a straight chainline.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Registered Member

I am at 1,600mi for the year, but I haven't been keeping track of direct car replacement trips.

I figured 64mi displaced off the top of my head (its hard for me to think much futher back then August / July). Of course I bike when I am bored (so I ride my bike for fun as apposed to driving my car around for fun).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #25
*shrug*

I wonder if we should run the thread just by total mileage or displaced? I feel like total miles is easier, even though it's certainly measuring different things?

What do you think?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #26
Registered Member

I like miles displaced better. There are plenty of people who just use bikes for recreation and end up putting a bunch of extra miles on there cars to get them to the bike trail/group ride/event/ etc.

I lurk on www.bikeforums.net a lot there is plenty of good information on that forum. I recommend the following subforums (but remember to post your bike threads here on gassavers ):

commuting

living car free

utility cycling

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #27
*shrug*

Okee, that's a good idea, and we'll stick by that. What was your displaced total?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #28
Registered Member

negative displacement = driving to cycling events

My score's very bad in that regard...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Unless of course someone wants to show that it's better for one to not exercise and ride an EV....
That's why ya build a hybrid meng. A gear set, even one that's as widely spaced as needed on an heavy EV bike or velo, is a trivial addition and allows the rider to input however much they want during the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Bugger
Ain't no deal. Probably maxed out from fall/winterguard. My thighs otoh...
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #30
Registered Member

I'm at 684.9 miles, add another 10.12 for the trip back home tonight. All commuting displacement.
I've tried to not eat the difference. Instead I'm withdrawing from the fat accumulated when I drove everywhere. Belt is two notches too long now. Pants are baggier front and rear, but tighter in the thighs and calves.
Just spent another $180, this time for a light (nice bright LED unit that works on pitch black, dark country roads up to 30 mph before I outrun my reaction time) and a pair of half-tights that will hold me until sub freezing weather arrives for my 05:30 departures from home. Next: some full finger gloves.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote