Bike Mileage Competition & Today's Ride - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 AM   #71
Registered Member

Next year (this year) will be lower cost.
Most of the equipment and clothing replaces 20+ year old stuff with newer, better performing replacements. Lycra/poly replacing wool, LiIon / LED replacing dry cell / incandescent, kevlar replacing cotton, expanded polystyrene and polycarbonate helmet replacing vinyl and foam 'hairnet', and so on.
If I get 20 years out of this new gear it will be a worthwhile expense.
Last week saw perfect cycle commuting weather in the North East , but I had come down with a nasty cold .
This week I'm better , but a fresh foot of snow was dropped last night .

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #72
Registered Member

Cant wait to post my miles, i have a 13mile commute each way and im training for a 24hour mountain bike race as well as the Shanandoha 100, a 100 mile mountain bike ride. So ill be doing some riding this year. Ill have to mount a comp. on my commuter. I also ride for work so that will add a little more as well. Its good to see we have a bunch of cyclists on this site.

Get off my @ss I'm saving gas!!
Tepco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #73
Registered Member

Something else about pedaling: The vehicle fuel lasts so much longer...
I was surprised to see my 90 day average so high until I realized that I'd only added fuel three times in the past 90 calendar days and they were exceedingly high numbers.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #74
Registered Member

Hoppy Oyster!

As we celebrate the resurrection of the messiah, it seems appropriate that this thread also arise from the dead.

My belated entry encompassing the first three months of 2008:
334.81 miles of auto use displaced by biking instead.
Now that better weather is returning that should start to climb.

Blasphemous thought of the day: Is Jesus of Nazareth a Zombie?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #75
Registered Member

Ahhh better weather, yes I shall have to clean and lube up my bike... tires are rotted like hell though... anyone know of a widely and cheaply available type/brand that holds up okay?

As for costs, when I commuted into college on a bike, it about doubled my appetite, which is no small thing with the price of food these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Blasphemous thought of the day: Is Jesus of Nazareth a Zombie?
Hmmm depends what exactly was on that sponge now doesn't it?
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #76
Registered Member

So far this year I've commuted 14 days, which together with some weekend shopping rides, comes to about 300 miles. That's just counting the miles that have replaced driving. I still ride for recreation but didn't count that.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #77
Registered Member

only rode bike for one week...had a foot surgery so it will take me a while to get on the bike..

32 miles..

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #78
Registered Member

You guys are killing me with the mileage totals. Of course my commute is only 3 miles round trip! This year my bike mileages are going to be way up partly because of the price of gas and partly because my shins are acting up from running and I need to ride on my off days to keep my legs in balance. The only thing my truck is going to be used for this year is shooting, hiking and fishing trips. Everything that I do in town I can do from the seat of my bike.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #79
Registered Member

In March, I only managed to commute by bike on 4 out of 21 workdays, but so far this month, I've hit 11 out of 17.

With warmer days, I expect to need the car even less, so I have been encouraging my wife to take my Scion xB instead of her Honda Odyssey for the difference in fuel efficiency. Overall, I know we'll benefit, even though she won't get the sort of mpg that I see.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #80
Registered Member

I've done a bit better. January through March accumulated to 334.81 miles, but April alone is another 243.41 for a 2008 sum of 578.22.
My wife's taken over the Camel II and ceased driving her 2000 Odyssey. The change from 23 mpg average to 45 mpg average helps a lot given the number of miles she drives.
My commute's short enough that going from 42 mpg in the Turdle to infinite a few days a week is not as much a help.