ebike - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

ebike

Recently my mom has expressed interest in getting a bicycle. She does a lot of short (sub 3 km) runs in her car that could easily be accomplished on a bike.

But easy is a relative term. She's approaching 70, smokes, isn't in the greatest shape and hasn't been on a bike for 25 years

To me she sounded like a perfect candidate for an e-bike. So I did some shopping, helped her try out several bikes - some made as e-bikes and one e-bike conversion candidate. Turns out Schwinn has a relatively inexpensive ($600 CDN) aluminum frame folding e-bike that fit her best.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #2

Sweet ! Like a moped but batt powered ! ....Sorry I lead a sheltered life ...lol

MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #3

What is the weight spec on that critter ?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

I've wondered the same thing. It's fairly heavy, being a lead acid machine. I'm guessing 70 lbs. I'll go weigh it tomorrow (need to do the basket installation) and post back.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I road a Currie Tec Izip bike the other day, it was rather nice for being a ready made product, top speed of 15mph (to slow for my taste) but it was simple to operate, you simply ride it like a bicycle, the motor speed was based off pedal speed and torque (yes, torque too, I spoke with one of their enginers) so all you did was pedal, and it helped, pedal faster and you go faster, I liked them because they have NiMH batteries hidden in the frame (two screws to removed) and only weight about 40 pounds total, the down side was the slow top speed, altho they have a range of around 30 miles, mostly because you have to pedal as well, so at most I would guess it's adding %50-%60.
I like the idea behind the design of these bikes, being that they are so simple to use that people who would otherwise be driving a car might think about operating them, altho I dislike their slow top speed, but that is partly because of their goal of reaching the masses, and some states requireing low top speeds of electric bikes, where wisconsin alows 30mph top speed on electric bikes.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

30 mph - wow. The law here is 32 km/h, which just happens to = 20 mph.

I've ridden a bike with the "you must pedal, and I will help you" system. Li-ion Bionx. It had 4 rider-settable levels of assist in that mode.

But it also had a thumb throttle so you could ask for extra power whenever you wanted (including while not pedalling).
Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

I also let my 9 year old nephew try "grandma's bike". Should have seen his eyes light up when he first twisted the throttle: "it's like a motorcycle!"
Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

Guess I'm not good at estimating weight: it's 59.5 lbs
Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

Hey thats not too bad on the weight ! I was actually thinking closer to 70# myself . I'm guessing the weights are not listed because folks will say "Thats Too Heavy" and look elsewhere. Honestly I've heard of E-Bikes mentioned but have never actually seen them - definitely worth a look see . Thank you !
Old 06-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
guessing the weights are not listed because folks will say "Thats Too Heavy"
Probably has something to do with it.

Dropped by the parents' this evening and mom was out again "practicing". She's really being very sensible about it, for not having ridden for 25 years.