I want to start riding my bike to work.... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to start riding my bike to work....

I've been wanting to do this for a few months now... but i think it would be a good idea for me to ride my bike to work (school) one day a week. I only live 6 miles from work & i think that it would be a gr8 idea... but i haven't gotten off my lazy butt & done it yet. I am a high school teacher & live on the coast of San Diego (north county).... so i can actually ride a bike during the wintertime b/c of the moderate climate. Does anyone on this forum ride their bike to work? How's it working for you? How often do you do it? Just wondering... I really love this forum.... A lot of bright minds here.
-MB

Old 11-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

if it works for you, great! my concern(not fear) for ridding a bike or walking more was validated yet again...orlando was again ranked THE #1 most dangerous city in America in regard to pedestrian injuries/deaths from motor vehicles.

in addition, i've had countless friends/co-workers injured on bikes, both motor and not.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

Probably has something to do with lots of out of towners driving around, not paying attention, only thinking of when they can visit the giant rat.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

If I could, I'd ride my bike to work...problem is, work is about 50 miles away. Kind of a long bike ride. I DID ride my bike to work back in the late '70s/early '80s sometimes...commute was only about 10-15 miles. And I lived in the San Gabriel Valley in Southern California, much more temperate climate than the High Desert. Also, I was 30 years younger. I do have at least one co-worker that rides his bike in nice weather.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Probably has something to do with lots of out of towners driving around, not paying attention, only thinking of when they can visit the giant rat.
yup! not to mention those used to driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

when i go for walks w/ my kids in (low traffic areas), i always face the traffic side, against the flow. even doing this, some idiots still speed and stay close, so we move to the grass if needed.

there aren't many side walks in our area, not that they make things entirely safe.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #6

MB,

I bicycled to work both in Alaska (in the warmer months) and the Bay Area (actually to a vanpool location) year-round, on a daily basis, for a total of about 9-10 years. My commute distance in both cases was about 6.5 miles each way. It put me in great physical shape, and saved me a lot of money and parking expenses.

I figure that daily exercise got me past the mid-40s to early 50s heart attack statistics. In any case, it was a great way to stay in shape and clear the cobwebs from my mind.

There are days you'll bike into work when it's dry, and face a miserable ride home in the rain. On hot days, you'll wish for a shower at work. If you're fortunate enough to have one, that's great. If not, you'll be surprised how little your sweat smells. My vanpool colleagues didn't complain about me (bless them).

Safety is a consideration. I used a rechargeable headlight clamped to my handlebars, but if I had to do it over (no need, I'm retired), I'd have a strobe light visible from the rear, and a headlight. In Alaska, I had a bike path to ride on. It paralleled a major thoroughfare, and was safe. There was a stoplight on a hill that stacked up traffic. I could pick a distinctive car at the back of the pack, pass it on the hill, and be halfway home before the car would pass me back.

In the Bay Area, I rode lightly-traveled side streets paralleling a freeway most of my commute. My bike was an old garage sale beater, a $35 Schwinn Continental that weighed about 45 lbs. That way, I didn't worry much that anyone would steal it.

You'll find it much easier mentally to get in a mindset to ride your bike to work if you do it on a daily basis. The hills won't take as much effort, and once you're in the mindset to bike to work, it's easier to do it than to convince yourself not to do it.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
MB,

I bicycled to work both in Alaska (in the warmer months) and the Bay Area (actually to a vanpool location) year-round, on a daily basis, for a total of about 9-10 years. My commute distance in both cases was about 6.5 miles each way. It put me in great physical shape, and saved me a lot of money and parking expenses.

I figure that daily exercise got me past the mid-40s to early 50s heart attack statistics. In any case, it was a great way to stay in shape and clear the cobwebs from my mind.

There are days you'll bike into work when it's dry, and face a miserable ride home in the rain. On hot days, you'll wish for a shower at work. If you're fortunate enough to have one, that's great. If not, you'll be surprised how little your sweat smells. My vanpool colleagues didn't complain about me (bless them).

Safety is a consideration. I used a rechargeable headlight clamped to my handlebars, but if I had to do it over (no need, I'm retired), I'd have a strobe light visible from the rear, and a headlight. In Alaska, I had a bike path to ride on. It paralleled a major thoroughfare, and was safe. There was a stoplight on a hill that stacked up traffic. I could pick a distinctive car at the back of the pack, pass it on the hill, and be halfway home before the car would pass me back.

In the Bay Area, I rode lightly-traveled side streets paralleling a freeway most of my commute. My bike was an old garage sale beater, a $35 Schwinn Continental that weighed about 45 lbs. That way, I didn't worry much that anyone would steal it.

You'll find it much easier mentally to get in a mindset to ride your bike to work if you do it on a daily basis. The hills won't take as much effort, and once you're in the mindset to bike to work, it's easier to do it than to convince yourself not to do it.
Thanks for the advice... i can see why you say that riding everyday would be better than riding only once a week.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

I've been riding in the gym since last week & i'm workin' my way up to riding to work one day a week (at first) and then adding more days as the weeks go by.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

That first day biking to work in Alaska was a humbling experience. Some fat guy passed me on his bike, and I decided to try to pass him back. I never got close to him. He just increased the distance between us. It took about a week and a half before I had biking leg muscles. That's why one day a week isn't enough.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hmm... I will rise to your challenge then... Starting next Mon i will ride to skool (mon-Fri)