Post a picture of your bike(s) - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #31
Registered Member

Cool find!

I know thats an old mountain bike by how the stem/handlebars are all one piece.
Mid to late 80s is my guess.

I am no commuter, but I ride my bike to places that I skateboard. I bungee my skateboard to the rear rack and ride to the town next to me (about 8 miles round trip).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:05 AM   #32
Registered Member

Hey kick, I just noticed your sig line: "Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007=616miles"

Odometer or manual calcs?

I figure I'm biking around 45 km/28 mi a week, not counting recreational rides.

EDIT: think I'll add that to my sig...

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:55 AM   #33
Registered Member

Yeah, thats from my bike computer. I just updated my signature so it is fairly accurate. I rode a lot in may (over 300 miles).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgeo View Post

Ordered this one today. I looked at several that sat a lot lower. Right or wrong I went with one that had a fairly high seat with base angle adjustment.

http://www.cyclegenius.com/ltx.html

[/url]
I have had the bike for about 3 days now. Yes a long wheel base recumbent takes a bit of getting used to. I have never been so comfortable on a bike before in my life. This is pretty cool. You can ride for a half hour and get off and not hurt any where. I should have done this years ago.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #35
Registered Member

Cool! That's what I found on the BikeE that I borrowed last fall = comfortable. Makes you wonder why anyone would ever ride a standard bike.

Speaking of...

Beater bike update: some minor problems (left crank arm keeps loosening, a couple of tight links in the chain cause some skipping), but it's a keeper. Much more comfy than the 10 spd, and also more flexible & tougher.

It even came with a cheap 3-digit combination lock, which I picked in about 10 minutes. I like the bike enough that I've actually gotten into the habit of locking it with said cheap-o lock - something I never did with the 10 speed.

But I don't have to be too worried about it getting stolen, judging by the comments I regularly get. I had a car full of kids go past me this evening and someone yelled "NICE BIKE HAHAHA!"
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #36
Registered Member

I've been thinking allot about setting myself up with a short wheel base recumbent. For some reason there is always a major headwind on my commute home and I'm hoping that will help.

Anyway, aside from the storage tradeoff, I'm wondering if anybody can clue me in to what other differences I would be seeing with a short wheel base bike vs. a long one?

Either way, I'm planning to build it myself, so cost can more or less be discounted.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Anyway, aside from the storage tradeoff, I'm wondering if anybody can clue me in to what other differences I would be seeing with a short wheel base bike vs. a long one?

Sorry I can't clue you in being so new to these but I will say that I think they are layed out the way they are to keep your feet out of the front wheel. I think that is the main criteria that drives the various configurations. Maybe that didn't need to be said.

After reading MetroMPG's comments I guess my next thing to buy is a good cable and lock. I had a beater bike stolen about 30 years ago and it bugged me for a long time. I had rebuilt it and laced up new alloy wheels. I did not have much money in it but to replace it with same new was $260 at that time.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #38
Registered Member

mine would be horrible tricky to steal. People can clearly hear me driving by with thier windows shut in their homes/business's haha.

BTW- Safety tip - Don't drive a bicycle while carying a towel/shirt/pants/cloth on your handle bars. I was doing this today, and it got sucked into the front tire, and BAM instant over the handle bar moment!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
To me the long ones look like they would be more stable, since they are lower (aren't they?). To me the short one looks twitchy. But I have never driven either. It seems like one with larger diameter wheels would have less rolling resistance.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #40
Registered Member

clencher: great story!

red91sit: but if the thief takes the hockey cards out of the spokes, they might be able to get away quietly...