Post a picture of your bike(s) - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Wheeee! On a good downhill you could hit 60 mph, and it would feel like 120!
That's the beauty of a road racing bike. There is not better feeling than your tires rolling over smooth pavement at 50+ mph.

GasSavers_veloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #82
Supporting Member

im saveing for a road bike as we speak i really really want to get into it but im looking at around 500- 700 bucks

Old 08-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #83
Registered Member

Mine got stolen - beautiful bike too. It was a green and white '56 Schwinn. Worth a few coins to the bastard who got it.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Mine got stolen - beautiful bike too. It was a green and white '56 Schwinn. Worth a few coins to the bastard who got it.
I feel your pain. Mine wasn't a classic like yours -- it was a late-70s black Schwinn 11.8 -- but it was my main road bike. Got ripped off (along with the Zefal pump, the seat bag containing all my bike tools, etc.) right out of our carport about a month ago.

It cost $350 when I bought it decades ago so I can only imagine what it would take to replace it now. The main hurt, though, is all the memories -- I did decades of cycle tours and centuries on that bike. Man, there are some real scumbags out there.

I still have a "Frankenstein" commuter I built but it's nowhere near the machine the Schwinn was.

Sigh.

Rick
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #85
Registered Member

My new bike just arrived today, so I didn't have the time to snap any pictures yet. I just had to try it out for a while until it was too dark. Tomorrow I'll try it on my regular lunchtime route.

In the meantime, here are some pictures that'll give a general idea.

It's a folding bike riding on 20-inch wheels with this same set of fenders and an added rear rack but I also had the bike shop add bar ends and replace the folding pedals with some better quick-release ones.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #86
Registered Member

My dad recently found a 1990's specialized hardrock in the trash (minus wheels). I put some wal-mart wheels on it it and now its in usable condition. Sweet for a trash find.

This is the closes thing I could find to it on ebay (the trash one has better componets):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Specialized-Hard...QQcmdZViewItem

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #87
*shrug*

My new bikeness: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5505
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #88
Registered Member

Just found this thread. What a cool community this is! I've been a road cyclist for over 30-years. Prior to fatherhood, I would typically log 100 -150 mi/wk on my road bike. Since starting a family, my cycling diminished greatly. My Waterford road bike moved to the basement, along with my wife's Schwinn Paramount. I picked up a Dyno Moto 7 cruiser, put a kid seat on the back and picked up a pre-owned Burly trailer. My cycling had shifted to family style! About 18-months ago, I picked up a job that came with a 35-mile commute. Afer exploring several public trans options, I settled into a commuter bus routine. A short time later, I built up a fixed gear single-speed and started biking the 7-mile 1-way trip to the bus stop nearly every day. This year I hung up my fixie at the end of November, but hope to be back cycling for part of my commute next March. My personal bike collection consists of:

1. 90's Waterford custom steel road bike w/ DuraAce 8sp
2. Fisher Advance mountain bike (a very early mountain bike, 30+ lb and from the days before suspension forks!)
3. WWII vintage 1-speed, coaster brake 26" lightweight
4. CroMo Schwinn road frame, converted to a fixed gear commuter, below:

I picked up a 80's Centurion Ironman Expert (Tange #1 tubing) frame as well. It's been a bit of a project and will eventually replace the Schwinn frame on my fixie. With the help of a friend, the derailler hanger was cut off, all cable guides and unnecessary braze-ons were torched-off. Finally, the frame/fork was bead-blasted and powder-coated black. Sonetime this winter, I'll press in the headset and build it up. I can post pics of this work in-progress, if anyone is interested.

Doug
GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #89
DRW
Registered Member

I used to have a Fisher Advance! It had a nice steel frame, oversize cromo tubes, made in Japan, 1 1/4" headset. I 'upgraded' it with a Rockshox mag 21.
I used to have a few nice bikes back in the day, a Bridgestone RB-1, ParkPre Prestige, Teschner built Fuji Team Edition, Kestrel 200 EMS, a custom 3D Racing road bike built with Easton Elite, custom fillet brazed Steve Rex road bike built with Columbus Neuron, custom Simonetti track bike, mid 80's Cannondale touring bike, original Schwinn Stingray that I tried to turn into a bmx bike when I was a kid, and a few others. Dam I had some good bikes. I wouldn't trade them for my current ride though.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #90
Registered Member

Now here's a picture of the actual bike in winter commuting gear. It has Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires and an Arkel Utility Basket on the rear rack.