Your Thoughts on Some Entry Level 'Bents - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > People Powered
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Your Thoughts on Some Entry Level 'Bents

So I'm looking to buy a SWB 'bent (no, I'm not considering CLWB for a few reasons). I've just about narrowed it down (mostly due to price) to two 'bents:

Rail Metro

and

Desantis Beagle

So the Beagle has marginally better components - but weighs 4 extra pounds. The Beagle has a nicer seat - but the seat type (hard shell) isn't really appropriate for that steep seat angle. I don't like the Metro's chain management (I prefer idlers over tubes - especially on the driven side) - but the Beagle's driven side idler seems superfluous...

IMO, the Metro has a nicer handlebar setup - only because I'm not a fan of the Beagle's bars/stem.

I weigh about 135 and am 5'11" - I really don't need the Beagle's ability to carry 300 pounds. I prefer a hard shell seat (the Metro has a steel framed attempt of a hardshell).

Honestly, I'm leaning more on the Metro's side because I want a more reclined seat angle. I'm tall, so I'd have the Beagle's seat far back (as pictured) and won't be able to get a decent seat angle. I also like the look of the Metro - BUT, I might be able to get the Beagle for a couple hundred less than the Metro (technically not "new" but it comes in the original box, never assembled).

I did a cost v. benefit diagram of sorts - and came to a dead draw. But if I consider physical looks more, the Metro wins....

I know this isn't a 'bent forum But what are your thoughts

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
Registered Member

I like the look of the metro better. The handle bars seem to have a better set up on the metro and the more reclined position would be faster.

but I am no recumbent expert.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Metro! They painted the fork the right color and it comes with a kickstand
Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

I like the looks of the Metro better. I think its frame will flex a bit and give a slightly softer ride. I am surprised how much the frame on my LWB recumbent twists even though built with 2 inch square aluminum tubing. The Metro frame might twist a bit. I have very little experience with these though. The twist has never been an issue. You can only do that when sitting with your feet on the ground.

Ran's purposely triangulated their frames "wrong" from an engineering point of view to get flex and a softer ride.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

Where are the fairings?
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mira View Post
Where are the fairings?
Down the road (and I'm not kidding, but getting ahead of myself -- it's just a matter of cost of construction)

-----
Thanks for all the input - so far, everyone else I've spoken with has said the same thing

-----
BUT, for a little more money (used) than the Metro... There's this beautiful 'bent in blue which has everything I want... The Challenge Hurricane

Now that I've thrown a wrench into the gears - any new thoughts?

11/12
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
oooh, the Hurricane. Definitely.
That's the first 'bent I've seen that made me stop and think "Damn, that bike is Hot!"
Sure it may cost a little more, but it fits your needs better and it will be lower-maintenance and more easily modifiable/upgradeable in the future it's a small price to pay.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

"Hot" is the word for that hurricane. Suspension is good on a recumbent since you can't absorb the bumps with your legs. The chain lines up well with the swingarm (minimal pedal jacking) and I like the little luggage rack

Fenders are a nice touch. For utility or recreation?
Old 11-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Totally missed the fenders The one I'm looking at doesn't come with fenders, but that seems like a necessary thing to have

I'm looking for utility and recreation. Utility: to bring groceries home, get to school, etc. Recreation: to go fast The quasi lowracer is better for speed - and that rack seems to be good for loads (55lb capacity, allegedly).

The Hurricane isn't a done deal - I still need to hear back from a bike shop if it's still available... And I need to take it for a test drive first - it would be terrible for it to not "fit" me But it does rate high on the victor-van-HOTness scale <-- means I need a better bike lock

Honestly, I'll be happy with any frame above - but I think the Hurricane will be the icing, cherries and chocolate on the cake

11/12
Old 11-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
Those fenders are Planet bike Freddy fenders. Good fenders are a must, and a big front mudflap.

Locking a 'bent looks like it would be more of a challenge, I guess you'd lock the main tube between the fork and seat? Must need a long-shackle lock too.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote