Accurate MPG. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Accurate MPG.

How do get accurate MPG to show up on my fuelly?

For example , I got a complimentary gas tank from the dealership @ 11 miles. So that is what i input. i put in the cost per gallon. So how will it know what the miles per gallon is on the average? i'm confused.

dolfanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
pb

You're using odometer tracking so Fuelly won't be able to give you an individual fuel-up calculation on your first entry. On your next full fuel-up, Fuelly will be able to give you a fuel economy calculation because you'll have two full fuel-ups in a row. Take a look at the information in the FAQ about odometer tracking.

You might want to just browse through the FAQ since you're new. There's a lot of good information in there about how Fuelly works.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #3

thanks pb. i checked it out. one thing however. should i be wating until i'm almost at e before i fill up to get a better mpg? or would it matter? i assume that if i fill up at half a tank lets say that fuelly would think i got bad mpg..correct?
dolfanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
pb

It doesn't matter how empty your tank is. The main thing is filling up to the top. Fuelly calculates the fuel economy on individual fuel-ups using the different from full. So it needs a tank that's full to the top to work from. The state of your tank before you fill to full doesn't matter.

If you put in some amount of fuel without filling the tank all the way up, mark that as a partial.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

If you want to be accurate and get a true average MPG, make sure you TOP OFF your tank EVERYTIME! I set the fueling handle on "lock" so I don't have to hold the handle, then I can wash the windshield or check the oil, ect. Once the fuel handle shuts off automatically, I wait a few seconds, then give it another squeeze until it clicks off again to make sure it's truly topped off! (SOME PUMPS SHUT OFF EARLY I'VE NOTICED). Once full, make sure to RESET YOUR TRIP ODOMETER every fill up! And get a receipt everytime! Once full, I like to take a picture of my receipt held up next to my odometer reading to make sure I'm accurate when adding my fuel up on here, then reset trip odometer and go! Enjoy!
CompleteCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
MEP

All good locking the pump on fill until the nozzle falls away and your calculating the fuel your paying to wash the forecourt with. Pumps in the UK cannot legally have the locking catches on them on domestic forecourts.

Like you say though, needs to be brimmed every time.
MEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

Our fuel tanks arnt big enough for the lock feature anyway. I filled one of my cars up from empty yesterday and it was no more than 3 gallons!

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote