Actual Savings - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #1

Actual Savings

Down at the bottom it shows potential fuel savings with 1, 2, and 3 extra mpg and what it could save you. I would like to be able see figures for how much was saved by exceeding EPA and/or how much was lost by not getting EPA.

It would be even more relevant if it factored in what we provide for our City/Hwy percentages.

Thanks

FXSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
pb

That's an interesting idea. The EPA numbers are pretty contentious—some people think they're a useful benchmark and some people think they're bogus, so I'm not sure this is something we want to add for everyone. But it's an easy calculation to do on your own.

Take the current value for +1 MPG and multiply that by the +/- MPG value in the EPA listings. So if your current savings for +1 MPG is $2, and your current EPA number for "Estimated Avg MPG" is +1.5. You know that in theory you saved around (2 * 1.5) = $3.00/fuel-up compared with the EPA Average.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

On a similar note, I was certain I used to get a projected savings section on my vehicles - although this is no longer there

Is this something that is enabled for UK users as I would really like to see this feature return?

Mike
Armegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
pb

If you're viewing the site with US or UK units selected you'll get potential savings. If you're viewing with L/100km or km/L you won't. It's just something we haven't enabled with metric views. We can give that some thought.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #5

Thanks for that

Interestingly, I was already on UK units however toggling to US then back to UK brought the stats back.

Mike
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #6

Actually, just double checked and it was keeping me in US units. When I have went back to UK it no longer wants to show me potential savings
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
pb

oh I see, yeah, you're right. I took a look at the code and we only have it on when you're viewing the site in US units.

We haven't wanted to do the work to handle other currencies for such a small feature. You can get a pretty good sense of it from switching to US units, but we're not ready to tackle other currencies just yet. We'll count this as a vote from you for internationalization of that feature.