Bug with car image upload - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #1

Bug with car image upload

I uploaded an image for my car which was a square aspect, I later decided to change it for a different image with a different aspect. When uploading then choosing the crop on the image it shows correctly but then when browsing my car profile it shows the original square image (which I had removed!!!!) stretched to fill the aspect of the new image.

Can this be fixed please?

Thanks

dstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
pb

Sounds like you have a locally cached version of the image. If you pull up your vehicle profile and do a hard refresh, you should see the new image you uploaded. A hard refresh is different between browsers, but most of the time it's Ctrl + Shift + R.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
pb

Here are Wikipedia's instructions for bypassing your cache in various browsers.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #4

Well not to be annoying.... Why go through a hard refresh when F5 usually does the trick for most situations like this? I have encountered this for years doing website work, picture uploads etc, and nearly in all cases just hitting F5 on the page you are browsing (or your browser's refresh button) cures the problem. Granted this is assuming that most people use 'default' browser settings.

As to why this happens since it it often isn't explained:

Anytime you are working with websites, all the stuff you view on the web has to be downloaded to your system first, before it can be viewed, so web browsers "cache" the files to a temporary space. So sometimes if a graphic or image gets changed and still has the same file name, your browser uses the first copy you downloaded as it has the same name. The browser might not check for a newer version of that image during the same session/day depending on the browser settings.

F5 usually forces the browser to recheck the page items as it loads and updates the items at that point instead.

If this fails, a hard refresh, or cleaning out the cache space will also cure this problem.

But rest assured, you picture is fine for everyone else.

Sorry PB, but going through the steps for a hard refresh are usually not necessary in most cases.
DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
pb

Hey, whatever works. I know a hard refresh is likely to work for 90% of problems in this case. Why not go right to thing that will fix it for the majority of cases? That saves a round of: "that didn't work, now what?"
Old 01-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #6

Hi, I'd actually already done a CTRL+F5 but Chrome must have been stubbornly caching the image anyhow as it's fine in IE9. Cheers for the reply.
dstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
pb

Yeah, I've found Chrome is really stubborn about caching images. I've had to clear my cache manually before to get a new version of something.