Custom Car Models and Motorcycles - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #1
pb

Custom Car Models and Motorcycles

The top two requests we've received since launching the site have been support for car models that aren't in our database, and support for motorcycles. We're happy to announce that we just added both to the site.

Motorcycles/Scooters

When you click the Add a vehicle link from the sidebar or homepage, you now have the option to click the Add a Motorcycle/Scooter tab.

From there you can choose your motorcycle manufacturer, enter a model, and select the model year. Motorcycles have their own public directory. There's not much there yet, but hopefully it will start to fill out as people add their motorcycles.

Custom Cars

On the Add a Car form, you now have the option to add a model we don't list. If you choose your car make but don't see your model listed, choose Other from the menu and you can type in your model name.

You can also select different model years, body styles, and engine types for your car. We started with a database of American cars, but we'd like Fuelly to be available to as many people as possible and we're hoping this change will help

Missing Manufacturers

Because there are far fewer manufacturers than models, we'll still be offering a limited list of car makers. However, we would like to add any that are missing. If you don't see the manufacturer of your car or motorcycle on our forms, you can Request a Make and we'll add it to the Fuelly database.

Bugs!

These changes represent a fairly big shift behind the scenes and there are bound to be bugs. Please post here as you find them, and if you could include your browser/OS combo with any bug report that would help. Thanks!

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #2

Thanks! Enjoying the site so far. Plan to try the mobile interface when I fill up on the way home.

I've invited a number of motorcyclists I know online to check out the site, and asked them for feedback. I'll pass it on to you if I get any!

Eideteker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Glad you added motorcycles. One thing, we don't 'drive' them, we 'ride' them. All the stats refer to driving them.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
pb

ahh makes sense, dang. Where do we mention driving vs. riding on the site, though? I'm not sure I see where we need to change that. We use /driver/ in URLs, but many people have both cars and motorcycles so I'm not sure it makes sense to change that. If there are some stat labels we need to change for motorcycles, we'll get them changed.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #5

I dunno, I've heard people, including my MSF instructor, talk about "driving" a motorcycle. I guess it is a little odd, but it's not wrong, per se.
zanniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6

I see two "A3"s in the Browse Car categories.
torrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
pb

thanks andre, fixed it up.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Although its not a significant modification, for my Grand Am, theres two different types of GAs. One being SE, and one being GT (I guess GT1 could count as a different model). The GT is considered a RAM AIR (Which is basically a bigger hole for air to get to the engine) but it'd be interesting to see the non-ram-air versus ram-air differences in MPG.
Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #9

I started out before you had added the motorcycle option, so I listed my Honda Goldwing as a Honda Civic (think of the Goldwing as a narrow Civic without a roof - it's fairly close...) Is there any easy way to transfer the records from the old vehicle to the new vehicle?
DMCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
pb

DMCox, there's no single button to press to move fuel-ups over to a new vehicle. But you can do a fuel-up export, remove your car, create your motorcycle, and then use that exported file for an import to your new motorcycle.

The documentation for all of this is spread out, so please send me an email if you want more detailed instructions.