FE lingo sticky suggestion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-27-2008, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

FE lingo sticky suggestion

I would like to see a sticky, where people can periodically add to it, the vast abbreviations the MPG community uses.

I hear EOC, FAS, DFCO, P&G, CC, etc... and you really gotta read close to try to figure out what some of them stand for if you're still a "newb" to hypermiling like I am.

So we have a sticky of best to worst FE improvements, could we get one of FE Lingo?? I'm sure it would help promote the site, as the more people who come here interested in FE improvements won't be turned off by not being able to read through a thread and understand what people are talking about.

I guess my suggestion is for a list, just like the FE improvements list.

like:

DFCO - Decelerative Fuel cut off
P&G - Pulse and glide
etc....

could even add a small definition to it if you choose

Thanks,

John

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Someone proposed this recently, and started a decent sized list. Nobody stickied it.

In case anyone searches for one of the acronyms in your post and finds this, might as well cover them. A couple are pretty difficult to find. I'll start with the two you expanded...

DFCO - Decelerative (or Deceleration) Fuel cut off -- when engine-braking (foot off the gas pedal, wheels turning the engine from car's momentum) the computer shuts off all fuel. DFCO is not in every vehicle and works differently in different vehicles.

P&G - Pulse and glide -- Speeding up and coasting down to take advantage of more efficient power at higher loads.

EOC - Engine Off Coasting -- coasting with the engine off, often done as the glide part of P&G.

FAS - Forced Auto Shutdown -- terrible acronym that does not explain what it is at all, and is NOT easy to find by searching. It means the driver turns the engine off at times similar to when a hybrid might shut off its gas engine -- for example, during a glide (which makes it EOC) and when stopped at a red light.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

I've stickied the thread:

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=7428

I did miss this particular thread asking for help in this area, I apologize. Hopefully the glossary thread will help.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

nice, thanks!

there are advanced acronyms I cannot think of right now that I've seen recently and was clueless about, but those help me, and I bet a lot of newbs coming in who see that glossary sticky will really appreciate it!
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #5

I'm happy to add any new acronyms or terms that people want. I'm just glad I can be of any help.