Filter for cars that aren't being updated? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #1

Filter for cars that aren't being updated?

Would it be possible to add an optional filter to the model page to eliminate cars that haven't had a fuel update in the past 60 days? There is some good historical data on Fuelly which is nice to have, but sometimes I'm really only interested in looking at data for active cars.

stan0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
pb

I'm not sure what the benefit would be offhand. What would seeing the past 60 days tell you that you don't get with the standard view?

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #3

Sorry, let me clarify. The benefit is that is shows people and cars that are currently active on the site. The site would show the full data, but only for cars that have been updated in the past 60 days (active users). This would filter out cars that aren't being updated on Fuelly. For example, I have a BMW 335d. Over half the cars are no longer being updated, and many of those have not been updated in over a year or only have a few fillups posted.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
pb

But does the data tell you anything different?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
pb

I guess what I'm wondering more specifically: is older data less valuable in determining the average MPG for a particular model?

We only show cars with three or more fuel-ups in public listings, because we've found it takes that many to get a good average MPG. But once you're at that number of fuel-ups, it seems like the data is valuable no matter how old that data is. Even if the last fuel-up was three years ago, it seems like more data is better than less.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Here's an example. In the Spring BMW released a firmware update for my car that has been discussed on other automobile forums. Some people suspect that this firmware update may have reduced mileage by 2-3 mpg. It would be nice to have the option to filter out incactive cars to be able to facilitate looking at current trends. I also will occasionally look at individual users comments and data to see what they are experiencing. Its more interesting to look at current data than old, stale data.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #7

Seems to me that it boils down to this: the amount of effort it would take to make this possible is not warranted by one users request... were there numerous requests like this, it might be worth looking into.

The value of this site is mainly MPG TRENDS for specific model vehicles. The finer details may just have to be culled through research on your part.

I would like to know driving habits of those who drive trucks like mine, however, I don't expect a fuelly to gather that for me.
GernBlandsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

How about a refine/filter button that after displaying all like models lets those who wish

- show only models that have fueled up with-in last sixty day, six month, or user defined amount.

On some models you allow filtering for V8, V6, gas, and diesel

To me reading the old stuff is not relevant. I want to know what a (fill in your own make and model) is getting in todays real world driving. Traffic flow patterns change as does the economy. When gas prices go up, I take off my lead foot and put on the one with the egg between the pedal and my foot. Get my meaning pb ;^)

frpda205 is offline   Reply With Quote