Fuelly and Twitter - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #1

Fuelly and Twitter

I've seen a couple of threads from last year about fuelly working with twitter stating that should be coming soon (this was a while ago). Does this functionality exist yet? I haven't been able to find anything recent concerning this.

Gfei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #2
pb

No, it doesn't exist. It's something we'd like to put together but we've hit several stumbling blocks along the way.

One of the primary problems is that Fuelly offers multiple vehicles per account. So in addition to texting in distance, price, and fuel volume, you'd need to specify which vehicle you're fueling up. So a text into the system would look something like this:

1 300 10 2.50

[vehicle] [distance] [volume] [price]

This process is a bit cryptic, so entry errors are bound to occur. It'd be easy to forget to specify which vehicle you want, transpose the price or fuel volume, etc. And because Twitter doesn't offer a good way to send errors back to the person inputting the info, a bad fuel-up could get lost in the process. We don't want that to happen.

Another problem we've hit is trouble finding a way to simplify the process of verifying/tying your Fuelly account to your Twitter account. Right now the best method we an come up with is a multi-step process of following a specific account, tweeting shared secret codes, etc.

Above all, we're trying to make entering fuel-up data easy. We know that being able to text in your data would make that easy in some ways, but losing fuel-up data with a rickety process that's painful to set up in the first place would be very frustrating.

I think we can solve some of these problems of Twitter integration, but it's taking time to put it all together. And if we can't solve the problems with Twitter, we might need to look at other ways to text data into the system.

In the meantime there's Fuelly Mobile.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #3

k so how about just using twitter to send out alerts when u update your fuelly account :-p
BrianDivaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
pb

A lot of people are piping their Fuelly updates feed into TwitterFeed.com to send alerts out to their Twitter readers.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #5

do u happen to know anyone i would like to see what is displayed..?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

i think i found some so it post

fuelly 00.0mpg on date

miles:

fallons:

price:

link:
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #7

but what sucks it doesnt say which car those stats goes too.. can we please have a fast fix??
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
pb

In TwitterFeed, go to your feed setup and click on Advanced Properties. Set the "Post Prefix" to your car name for whichever feed you're on.

The Fuelly feeds already contain the car name and model in the feed title and description, so it seems redundant to display the name with every post. TwitterFeed already has a solution in place for this, so you should be set if you use that.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #9

i am not using twitterfeed, i couldnt get it to work

but the RSS Data http://www.fuelly.com/driver/magicsw...-0-gts/log/rss

Dont have it it puts it in the title on the feed page or from but not in the feed

see example http://twitpic.com/b7gm5
Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
pb

We're not going to put the car name/model in every post. For most standard feed applications this is an unnecessary redundancy. You might contact whichever service you're using to post items to Twitter and ask for a "Post Prefix" feature like Twitterfeed has.