How to compare exact car models? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

How to compare exact car models?

I've got a Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS, when I look at other vehicles I get both diesels and petrols and their mpg is roughly the same as mine.

The only variable is something called L4 and a couple of others, which I have not managed to lurk around and find out what they mean? Is there a FAQ or something which explains what L4 is?

totalwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
pb

Yes, the FAQ you want is this: What do the engine type abbreviations such as L4 and V6 mean?

And you can use the filter controls at the top of the page to get as close as possible to your vehicle. We don't track engine displacement or trim levels, so you might need to do some of your own filtering by looking at vehicle names and descriptions a bit. Here's more info about the level of detail we track: Why don't you track more vehicle details?

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #3

thanks, not ever member discloses their exact car model. but at least now i knowthat my car is l4
totalwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
pb

Yeah, that's true. But not every member knows their exact car model. We want the site to be welcoming for them too.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

I think that you've hit the nail on the head, pb. This is an ever-expanding tradeoff of including more information to enrich the data included at the expense of making it harder to enter that data. On the one hand, more meaningful data can be marvelous to capture, but on the other, it turns off less savvy users that help to provide the basis for the data in the first place. This is something I deal with on a daily basis at my job (meaningful enrichment of user supplied data), so I can certainly understand the issues.

Providing this kind of information after the user has entered their vehicle (from the "EDIT CAR" dashboard, for example) might at least let those that are a bit more savvy about their car include that information, without confusing/cluttering the initial addition of vehicles.

UI development is certainly a fine balance between usability and complexity. I've found in my work that simple >> complex almost universally. Sure it may cause some of the more technically inclined irritation (lack of "options"), but in general, I've found that making things simple is always better.
erple2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

L seems to be this sites version of I

Inline 4

inLine 4

same thing

TheDreadedGMan is offline   Reply With Quote