Integration of vehicle geography - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #1

Integration of vehicle geography

Currently the site can allow you to compare fuel profiles of cars of the same make, model and year. I was hoping to know if it were possible to integrate location in the car profiles.

Reason being I wanted to see how my car fares in relation to the same make, model and year AND location so I can have a better grasp of how other factors (primarily weather) affect my vehicle and driving style. It would help me improve my stats knowing how another driver drives in the same situation and driving environment.

koimaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
pb

Yeah, I think that's an interesting idea. I'd like to see that eventually too. We've always thought that our number of users wasn't high enough to make that worthwhile.

For example, you have a 2001 Honda CR-V. There are 20 other people with that make/model at Fuelly. So the chances that one of those other 20 people are in your location is fairly small. And since that's not going to work out very often it doesn't make sense to complicate the interface with extra choices that aren't going to be very helpful.

One thing that might be useful is surfacing some location information on the browse vehicle pages. So including a country flag with vehicle listings might help you see at a glance where other drivers are. And there might be enough similarities at the country level right now to make that interesting.

So the short answer is, yeah, that's a great idea. I'm just not sure the site has enough users to make it worthwhile yet.

One thing you can do to find other drivers near you is trying the Find By Location form. Even if folks near you aren't driving a CR-V, you could find some people with similar models near you and see if that comparison helps.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #3

Yeah, I kind of thought as much... being in IT myself I can kind of relate to your perspective. Making changes to lookups and getting database dependencies right is a pain, especially if it's just for one user. Anyways, thanks for quick response

[thumbs] <<< I know we don't have this yet either
koimaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
pb

We thought about this some more and realized that we aren't showing location information on vehicle profile pages. We show a country flag below expense reports, but that's a bit out of the way and hard to spot if you don't know it's there.

We show location info on user profile pages, but it's kind of a pain to click over to that just to find out where a vehicle is located. So today we added a Location: line to the top of vehicle profile pages. If someone put in a location we'll show that and include the two-letter country abbreviation. If someone just chose a country and didn't specify a location we'll show that there instead.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote