iphone experience - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #1

iphone experience

just some feedback from an iphone user, be interested to see some thoughts from other users on the same platform.

1) location based data. since late last year if you go to the fuelly site on iphone it asks to use your location, it was stated by mathowie in a previous forum post august 27 2009 that it is because the iphone OS allows for it so for future features that info is being recorded in the database. however at this stage the data isnt visible to users via export or other method and no location based features have been finalised, so there appears to still be no net benefit, yet every time i go to put in fuel stats i have to answer yes or no to the same question

2) vehicle /100km & recent fuel-ups graph is in flash. unfortunately iphone doesnt have a flash player which is lame but thats life.

i guess its just a bit of a double whammy for iphone users. when you want to enter a fill up you have to authorise location every time and then when you want to view your stats you don't get any visuals. so you can get impacted adversely on both sides of the equation. the only option i seem to see is to go to something like accufuel, which seems to address these issues but lacks a community & internet orientated user fabric

one other minor suggetsion, having the tags visible on the vehicle summary page would be great. presently i am tracking what is really tag based information (location & fuel type) in the notes, because otherwise i have to go to every single fuel up and examine each one, there is no "at a glance" view of the tags like there is for the rest of the info.

other than that, keep up the great work

bearmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #2
pb

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I didn't realize the charts weren't working on the iPhone. I just updated the site so iPhone users will get PNG charts instead of Flash charts on vehicle profile pages, so you should see them now.

We still haven't decided what to do with location based data. We thought it would be interesting to put together a list of gas stations with the location data, or a map of who was fuelling where, but we haven't found the time to build anything with the data yet. It's a good time to revisit that. I'll talk with mathowie about whether we should just turn that off or not. I understand the annoyance (I need to click that too), so maybe we could add a profile preference to completely remove the prompt at least.

A tag cloud would be a nice addition. I'm not sure it should go on vehicle profile pages, but we should find some place for it.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the great site!

As an iPhone user, I would also like to see The site use locations.

Also any chance for an iPhone app?

Lastly, thanks for fixing the charts!
dslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
pb

No, we don't have an iPhone app in the plans because we wouldn't get much more than we have now with Fuelly Mobile beyond offline fuel-ups.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

hey pb, thanks for the reply, the charts are fixed now, which is awesome, thanks for being receptive with the other suggestions, look forward to seeing what you come up with, kind regards.
bearmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #6

Heh, I stopped in to ask whether an app was in the cards. The reason being that the mobile version is so good that I realized after I drove away yesterday that I'd forgotten to tell the interested iPhone-using pump jockey that it was a web site, NOT an app - in my mind it's an app. I think I even said "it's a terrific app." Poor guy probably thinks I can't spell or something as he keeps searching the app store for Fuely? Fuellie? FueLee?

barley is offline   Reply With Quote