iPhone Facelift - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
pb

iPhone Facelift

We updated the look of the standard site for iPhones today.

We optimized fuelly.com for iPhones by taking away the left and right columns and adding an iPhone-style menu. Here's a look at a standard vehicle page:

One thing to note is the new "skip to menu" link at the top-right of every page. If you click that, you'll jump to the bottom of the page where you'll find this menu:

If you don't like the new iPhone-optimized look on your phone, you can click the "Switch to Standard Site" link and get back to the full web version. If you make the switch and want to get back to the iPhone-optimized site, you can click the new "Restore Mobile" link from the menu on the left side of the page.

Right now this version is only available for iPhones, but we plan to create stylesheets for other mobile devices like the Android and Blackberry soon.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
pb

And the mobile version is live now for Android phones too.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #3

what about palm pre and palm pixi?

webos is very popular and easy to develop for!
badjokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #4

Cool... I'll be comparing this (I'm an android) against the new sms method. Any plans for an actual app?
phyxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
pb

badjokes, no immediate plans for a palm pre version. We just don't have that many visitors from Palm devices. Here's how our traffic breaks down once you get past Windows, Mac, and Linux:

iPhone 3.45%

Android 1.25%

iPod 0.43%

BlackBerry 0.37%

SymbianOS 0.11%

Samsung 0.05%

Playstation 3 0.04%

PalmOS 0.02%

Danger Hiptop 0.01%

So we'll probably tackle BlackBerry next, but honestly not too many visitors there either.

phyxius, If you just want to fuel-up on the Android, I'd still go with Fuelly Mobile at m.fuelly.com over the standard site.

No, no plans for an installed app. We're web guys so compiled apps aren't our area, and honestly there isn't much to gain from an installed app beyond offline fuel-ups and exposure in the various app stores. It's just not enough to justify hiring someone to build it.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 AM   #6

pb, why not just detect the WebOS users and redirect them to the iPhone page? Alternatively can you create a URL that permits WebOS users to go there directly?

I presume that all you're doing is using different CSS for the iPhone. In which case, can you just make that available to other phones other than iPhone. Facebook does this by exposing the "touch.facebook.com" URL which works for iPhone, WebOS, Android, et al.
dullgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 AM   #7
pb

Sure, I could turn the iPhone stylesheet on for WebOS, but I need to confirm that it's not going to completely kill the site for Palm users before I do that. That means tracking down and installing an emulator because I don't own a Palm. So it's not impossible, just a bit of a project to get it running.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
pb

Oh, and make sure you check out Fuelly Mobile at m.fuelly.com on the Palm. It should work fine for adding fuel-ups.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

Here's my suggestion: turn it on using a separate URL (touch.fuelly.com, x.fuelly.com, i.fuelly.com) and let those of us who are motivated provide feedback.
dullgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #10

will there be an iPhone app that you are going to develop at all? I think that would be extramly useful and you will get a lot of hits on that.

KamberB is offline   Reply With Quote