Join with Fuelly? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Other fuel economy forums had the attitude that if you weren't driving a Geo Metro, Civic VX, or a Prius, then you pretty much didn't count, and got flamed.
I've never met this kind of behavior. Maybe I'm just lucky.

alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_r View Post
The forums on Fuelly are not that active, about the same as we have here.
I did not know that. I guess I ought to hop over and have a look at it. That makes a big difference in what I expect from the merge, especially the culture clash discussed a few posts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
I saw plenty of it and that was another reason I chose this site instead. Since I've been here I've seen some of it here and have always opposed it.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro84 View Post
Years ago I had joined Clean MPG, but got flamed for having a V8 4wd pickup truck that weighed 3 tons. I think I only made 2 or 3 posts there before I just abandoned the site. When I bought the FEH I just signed up with a new name as I could not remember the username and password I had created in 2008. The only reason I went back to Clean MPG was that they had a very active community of FEH hypermilers, and I needed to learn as much as possible about the vehicle.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #14
Registered Member

I wonder, if we did this (or when we do this), is the website name going to change? what differences are we going to feel as members here vs members of fuelly and vice versa?

I know, a lot of questions...

***edit***

I've also seen the flaming of people for having horribly inefficient vehicles and trying to do better with them. I am personally proud that one of our members was trying to do better with an actual transfer truck (though I can't remember his screen name) and he was at around 5mpg.

Efficiency is important but at the end of the day, it is just that... efficiency. if you need a particular vehicle to do your job, make it the most efficient possible. Many people NEED a truck to do their job... why not make it as efficient as it can be.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I did not know that. I guess I ought to hop over and have a look at it. That makes a big difference in what I expect from the merge, especially the culture clash discussed a few posts back.
I think they are not very active because the forum layout and format are more like a Facebook discussion. The activity level would likely ramp up if we offer a better platform but I think it would be gradual, so there would be time to adjust.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I wonder, if we did this (or when we do this), is the website name going to change?
If we do this, the forums would be moved over to the Fuelly domain name but we could keep call the forums the "Gas Saver Forums" to keep our identify. The look and feel of the forums would match Fuelly to make sure the user experience is consistent.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Site Team

Also, Fuelly is joining forces with Gas Cubby:
App Cubby rebrands as Contrast, teases Perfect Weather, Gas Cubby goes to Fuelly | iMore

Here is our announcement page:
https://www.fuelly.com/gascubby/

This will grow the Fuelly user base considerably. I think they are all exciting steps in the right direction. I hope Gas Savers can be part of this momentum. If people have strong voices opposing, we can remain independent but joining forces seems like it might be the right thing to do.

As for culture, I think it's of the utmost importance we remain open to people no matter what kind of vehicle they drive. I'd hate to hear that a nice member left because they did not feel welcome because they drove a guzzler.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
Efficiency is important but at the end of the day, it is just that... efficiency. if you need a particular vehicle to do your job, make it the most efficient possible. Many people NEED a truck to do their job... why not make it as efficient as it can be.
This is why I wouldn't ever join this kind of flaming without knowing the details. I won't be smooth though if it turns out that he solely uses that huge truck to get some groceries from the next corner

But it's still not a real reason to flame (though I couldn't help but express my thoughts). It's a good reason for him to learn about more efficient (even human powered) vehicles

Anyway, my case was kind of similar to yours with the FEH: hypermiling bikers are a rare breed, so I joined quite a few sites to meet some. Now I go and read the announcement @ Fuelly. I have a whole day to do so

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_r
If we do this, the forums would be moved over to the Fuelly domain name but we could keep call the forums the "Gas Saver Forums" to keep our identify. The look and feel of the forums would match Fuelly to make sure the user experience is consistent.
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_r
We would have to find a way to migrate and merge and let users clean up their logs so only one master set of logs existed (if they were a member of both sites).
Will this master set be in the new, anticipated, feature rich log format?
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_r View Post
I will have to check out Gas Cubby. Does it work offline? I could use it on an iPad (no mobile data).

Quote:
As for culture, I think it's of the utmost importance we remain open to people no matter what kind of vehicle they drive. I'd hate to hear that a nice member left because they did not feel welcome because they drove a guzzler.
+1
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
Registered Member

I like that Gassavers is small, but small in numbers of sub-forums. The organization here is concise. With Cleanmpg, I wasn't sure where to go for info. The brand specific areas seemed dead unless it was a hybrid. Here the layout makes no assumption on what you drive.

Activity has dropped off, and that is needed to keep a forum going. I'm for this.

Quote:
they understand that the radical techniques(like EOC) are no longer necessarily practiced or supported. disclaimers and "perform at your own risk" type of statements should be in order...
Have I missed a shift here?

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote