Mobile feature? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mobile feature?

Next time you do an 'upgrade' to the mobile site, I wonder if it's possible to 'lock' the numeric keys on a qwerty keyboard when entering information into a field where only numeric info should be entered.

That's an awkward explaination ... let me give an example: There are some apps on my BBTorch9800 where, when entering data into a 'numeric' field, I don't have to hold the 'alt' button and the alphanumeric key simultaneously in order to get the numeric value ... it assumes I want the number and not the letter for that key. For example, when entering a phone number into the 'Contacts' application, I don't have to push 'alt' and 'D/5'. It assumes I want the '5' without having to hold the alt-key down. Thanks, P4S

Pray4Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
pb

I'm not sure about the BBTorch9800 specifically, but a lot of times native apps have access to keypads that Web apps don't. Have you seen this particular keyboard on a Web app before? If so, if you could send a link I can take a look and see how they did it.

It sounds like something specific to a native (not a browser) application, though.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
pb

Oh, another quick question: does the BB phone-number keypad include a period? If not, we wouldn't be able to use that keypad even if we do have access to it somehow. People need to be able to put in decimal places.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #4

Looks like in HTML 5 you would use an input field with type="number" step="any" (step=any appears to be necessary to override the default step of 1, which would limit the input field to integers).

Not that this helps at all with HTML 4.01.
tedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
pb

Yeah, we already do that in Fuelly Mobile which is HTML5. Pray4Snow wants an even more limited keypad than the standard browser numeric keypad.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #6

To me it sounds like Snow is getting the full query keyboard (i.e., mentions having to press ALT to avoid entering a letter).

So presumably the browser is 4.01?
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
pb

Looks like the BB Torch has a built-in (not virtual) keyboard. So I'm not sure how it handles type="number" fields.