mpg ceiling - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #21

Each vehicle seems to be slightly different. Some have trip meters that that will display the total kWh, some have a meter that resets after a full charge, some have an online dashboard that displays monthly, weekly, and lifetime consumption. Quite a few people do use a kWh meter outside of the vehicle as well.

I would encourage a recording method, and calculation, that supports MPGe as defined by the EPA, which is from the plug rather than from the battery. An individual vehicle profile would help address the challenge, and allow fuelly users to select their kWh metering method, wall or battery.

I would also suggest allowing the option of "not recording kWh", set as the default. When set to record kWh, their badges could display "MPGe" rather than "MPG".

--------------------

I am currently using the monthly kWh number reported on MyVolt.com for convenience. I have entered mid-month updates, but I will delete those entries and replace them with the monthly total.

JHatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #22

Unless my electricity comes from renewables. Which it does.

tofferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #23

before we start a debate about ghg and emissions, let's stick to the EPA method for MPGe which is basically measure at the point you pay.

I think fuelly users are interested in cost per mile to fuel their transportation.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
BDC
Registered Member

>...Yes, about 15% is wasted within the charger. But additional efficiency is lost between the power plant and your home - should we count that too? I'm being facetious with that question, but, it does help illustrate the point, no? ...

Except that all electricity used anywhere, anytime has to pass through power lines, but only the electricity you use to charge your car passes through your charger...

You forget that you pay for the inefficiency of the power lines... it just isn't a separate item on your bill. Conveniently forgetting that your charger uses 15% extra kWhs to heat your garage is like not counting the gas it takes to get to the gas station.. if your gas station was 60 miles away...

No matter whether you bought electric in order to be anti-fossil fuels, anti-Saudi-princes, anti-global warming, or just long-long-long-term frugal, that extra 15% is totally relevant as well as significant enough in magnitude to not be ignored.
BDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #25
pb

Thanks for all of the extra info and feedback so far. This discussion has been very helpful.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #26

Here is an example of someone that is trying to capture both the kWh as well as gasoline usage using the notes.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tracksyde/prius-plugin
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #27

While you are contemplating the support for PlugIn vehicles can I suggest also adding a Electric/Gas ratio display similar to the City/Hwy display. PHEV drivers tend to be interested in their EV miles ratio more than than City/Hwy.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #28
gpk

Well someone here http://www.fuelly.com/driver/faizzaki seems to have broken the 200mpg limit. Somewhat...!!! Slightly distorts the annual model averages.... look for 2010.... http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/polo
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #29
gpk

Oooh.... and another! http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tyronnster/306 . Looks as if even more robust data checking/cleaning might be needed, ideally... tricky to do that really well... (and I've not been looking for trouble!)
gpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
pb

Yeah, the 200 MPG limit is per individual fuel-up not overall average. Fuelly calculates overall average with total distance driven and total fuel filled, so it's not really connected to the individual fills.

The examples you point out are probably data entry errors.

pb is offline   Reply With Quote