Need separate option for Cruze Eco - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #21

My personal feeling is that the engine info is useless & confusing, but I'm not going to go ranting about that one again :-)

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Registered Member

PB, not to jump into this fray since I don't have a dog in the fight so to speak and I am tremendously appreciative for all that you and Mathowie do for us here on Fuelly but I do have a question / suggestion on this thread. Would it be possible to add 1.4LTurbo as an engine option? It would seem that this would allow the Cruze Eco crowd to filter within the model as they are asking without breaking out the manuals and automatics and maintain the Fuelly policy of not adding superfulous trim lines that confuse the membership at large and exponentially expand the vehicle lists to the point of being unmanageable.

I am not trying to jump into your business by any means and again I really appreciate the site and all your hard work. It just seemed to me as I read this thread that possibly this would keep all parties happy and not create a new rule or additional workload for you and Mathowie. In effect it would be like the difference between a V6 and an I4, both are gasoline engines but may have significant fuel economy differences due to horsepower and application variances. Is this workable for you?

Thanks again,

bates

bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
pb

No, we don't track any sort of engine displacement size or turbo at the current time. We can't make an exception for a single engine. That would solve the issue at hand in this particular case, but would open up hundreds of other cases.

Why don't we track engine displacement size for all engines? Why not track whether or not an engine has Turbo? We've covered this ground quite a bit in the past. The FAQ has more info: Why don't you track more vehicle details?

We simply can't track every potential dimension that folks want to track. And people want to track all kinds of things. We're trying to be a general interest site for people who might not be car enthusiasts. That's going to frustrate the enthusiasts. But in the long run, we feel like getting the general car owning population to track their fuel economy is more important than pleasing car enthusiasts. Yes that means less data to sort on, but it means more data to look through because we believe it means more people will be tracking. It's all trade-offs and we feel like we're at a good balancing point right now.
pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #24

I invite you to go down the street, find a sample size of 100 people, and ask them what engine they have in their car, then ask them the trim. Chances are, they'll walk to the back of their car and say "oh, I have a Malibu LTZ, it says so on the badge." It won't be "oh, I have a I-4 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. The general public is quite ignorant with regard to general mechanics.

Let me know if you need help with this when you decide it will be worthwhile. This site/idea is large and significant enough to where it will be increasing very quickly in popularity. I don't see it going away; you guys are doing something nobody else is for free and that's special, especially with fuel cost trends.

At some point in the future, people will want to differentiate between things like this, because 8.5mpg as an average is huge. I'm not going to pursue this any longer as I can see its not getting me anywhere, but I will leave you with yet another post a fellow Cruze Eco owner made on a forum where I discussed this very issue, as my closing statement:

"I agree there should be something separating them to let people know the difference in fuel economy. As my fuelly shows I get awesome mpg but I have actually herd people say "ohh wow you get really good FE but when I go on fuelly they are not rated that high" I dnt want ppl thinking I am just bragging and making up numbers that are high when they ask me how my FE is. When you look at my #'s compared to the cruze they are really high, but if you break them down into eco vs non eco there is not as big of a difference, so people are more inclined to realizing the ecos to get impressive FE.

I personally only got this car as a comutter and for the FE and thats it, I have an 07 vette for fun. Every penny I save on fuel can go towards fun parts for the vette. I had a 97 tdi that got amazing mileage before my cruze. I new I wanted to replace it with the best FE car I could get. So if I would have just looked at fuelly I would prolly not have gotten a cruze. But because I reasearched the **** out of this car I knew it was exceptional for FE. I was looking at new tdi's as well but then found the cruze. I went for the cruze because I got an amazing deal as I worked for my dealer all through college.

So for people like me where the biggest factor is FE, having a separte spot on fuelly would be very helpful

Ryan"
XtremeRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #25

>I invite you to go down the street, find a sample

>size of 100 people, and ask them what engine they

>have in their car, then ask them the trim. Chances

>are, they'll walk to the back of their car and

>say "oh, I have a Malibu LTZ, it says so on the

>badge." It won't be "oh, I have a I-4 2.4L 4-

>cylinder engine. The general public is quite

>ignorant with regard to general mechanics.

Whereas if you do exactly the same thing in the UK, they'll almost certainly know the fuel type & displacement without having to look (but probably have no idea about the other stuff). Simply because displacement used to be how the annual tax was calculated (and a standard question on car insurance applications).

I was very surprised when I was in the states and I found that people didn't know the displacement of their own cars (but they simply had no reason to know it).
MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #26
Registered Member

Fair enough PB, I understand and appreciate your position. Thank you and Mathowie once again for all you do for us users of Fuelly, I am truly thankful and appreciative of all your hard work.

bates is offline   Reply With Quote