New Website: Honda-Search.com - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Driving on E

New Website: Honda-Search.com

I've been working for the past month or so on a new website that I'm hoping will help pay for the server here. It is a Honda-centered site, but it contains valuable technical information that all people might be able to use.

www.Honda-Search.com is a search engine that searches a number of popular honda internet forums. If you need to know how to replace a fuel filter, oil filter, head gasket, or even and entire engine you should skip google and go straight for Honda-Search. Why? Well, you'll filter out all of the info for other makes and models and find information on exactly what you want.

I've also made Honda-Search only search certain the technical forums and not search the "general discussion" forums and other non-sense information that you don't need. On top of this, signatures are not searched, which makes this a much better alternative to Google or Yahoo, which will sometimes give you a hit on something in someone's signature.

I'm happy with what has been accomplished so far. The site isn't done yet and I still have a lot of things to add to it. I would however like to announce it in hopes that 1) You use it, and 2) you tell others about it. Feel free to post links to Honda-Search on other websites, or even post links directly to the results.

Just thought I'd share a new site in the same network as GasSavers.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
*shrug*

Can I choose forums to search, such as only sale forums?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Can I choose forums to search, such as only sale forums?
It doesn't search "for sale" forums, only technical forums. I'm going to add the functionality soon to search a specific site, but that's about as far as it will go.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
*shrug*

Darn, no luck for my d15z1 swap.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

No luck on VX for sale. How would you suggest I search for better results?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
*shrug*

Dan, you'll never find a stock vx for sale on a honda site. They're just too slow for people not to do something to them,

I suggest that normal people are the only hope for that.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #7
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
yea ben is right. autotrader is your friend for stock vehicles.

good job on the search site matt!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

That's an interesting site Matt, and looks like it can be a valuable tool.

But something that I don't see: Links to Honda Tech, or SOHCHonda. Not that there is not some good information on those other sites, but H-T is a MASSIVE website. If it's been asked about a Honda, it's most likely on there. You may have to sift through several "junk" posts to get to some "real" good information, but it's a great resource. Also, and I may be a bit biased, but SOHCHonda has basically the opposite - it's a much "smaller" site (read: volume), but has much "better" information. Not a lot of "junk" posting, and we try to keep it that way.

Hopefully you'll see this as it was meant to be - constructive. I think what you've done is great and will be an awesome tool.

GasSavers_civicminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #9
*shrug*

Matt told me something once about h-t's urls needing figuring outing, mehbe he'll add sohchonda now though,
Old 06-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicminded
That's an interesting site Matt, and looks like it can be a valuable tool.

But something that I don't see: Links to Honda Tech, or SOHCHonda. Not that there is not some good information on those other sites, but H-T is a MASSIVE website. If it's been asked about a Honda, it's most likely on there. You may have to sift through several "junk" posts to get to some "real" good information, but it's a great resource. Also, and I may be a bit biased, but SOHCHonda has basically the opposite - it's a much "smaller" site (read: volume), but has much "better" information. Not a lot of "junk" posting, and we try to keep it that way.

Hopefully you'll see this as it was meant to be - constructive. I think what you've done is great and will be an awesome tool.
I would happily add sohchonda to the database. Would you guys mind throwing a link somewhere to honda-search?

That being said, right now I'm crawling 5 sites using vbulletin. They were the easiest to get started with. I'm going to add honda-tech sometime soon, but their URLs are different than the rest.

Vbulletin uses a cool archive format (www.gassavers.org/archive/index.php/ is an example). It's all plain text and easy to navigate. Honda-Tech has a "printable view" of pages, but it's a little bit more difficult to crawl.

I'm going to have to write a custom crawler to grab all of the URLs from honda-tech and then crawl them. It'll be easy enough to do, just a little time consuming.

Soon I'll also make it possible to put a search box on different forums that enable you to search using honda-search.