"Partial fuel-ups and fuel-ups following a partial fuel-up will not display an MPG" - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

"Partial fuel-ups and fuel-ups following a partial fuel-up will not display an MPG"

"Partial fuel-ups and fuel-ups following a partial fuel-up will not display an MPG"

This was a dumb change, and makes using the site useless for me.

I never buy more then $20-$30 worth of gas at a time.

only dead of winter do I get a full tank & just for the extra weight.

350X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Oh and I can care less about my "exact MPG", carrying the extra weight to fill up isn't worth it. Your estimating was near dead on with partials anyways. And was dumb to remove it.

Ive seen this, ive read this and still don't care.
http://www.fuelly.com/faq/3/fill-the-tank

350X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

I made this point a year or two ago, I cant think of one person here that fills thier tank. They usualy just buy a gallon, maybe two at a time. Fuel is so dear in the UK, it would cost the equivelent of almost $200 to fill a large tank.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry you feel that way, but we didn't make any changes from how Fuelly handles Partials fuel-ups from before the major overhaul in June.
In fact, you can see that that FAQ was posted back in 2008.
We simply added the note so you can verify you selected "Partial" intentionally instead of accidentally. This also adds a second layer of error catching that can be spotted right away and corrected by the Fuelly Driver.
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
I made this point a year or two ago, I cant think of one person here that fills thier tank. They usualy just buy a gallon, maybe two at a time. Fuel is so dear in the UK, it would cost the equivelent of almost $200 to fill a large tank.
OK, you've already explained it once, but I still don't understand: do they spend less on fuel if they pay the same (actually a little more, because of the unnecessary trips/stops to/at the fuel station) money in smaller pieces?
alvaro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

No I try explaining that to them, apart from a little extra weight, there's no difference in putting 10 gallons in once, or 1 gallon in 10 times, but people think they are saving money by putting little amounts in. Like the guy I have worked with for almost a decade, in all those years I have never got into his car without the fuel warning light on, drives me nuts! I guess some people cant even manage thier finances properly.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Personally, I don't see it. Say you use 14 gallons a week. whether you purchase 2 gallons a day, or stop once and purchase 14 gallons, you're purchasing the same volume of fuel. Also, if you only keep a bare minimum in your tank, you're more likely to purchase fuel at stations because of their location, not their price. The way I see it, you probably end up paying more, and you certainly spend more time purchasing fuel.

In my town, fuel is running about $3.40/gal right now. If I was purchasing fuel daily, this is what I would be paying, 2 gallons at a time. About once a week I travel to a town that has lower fuel prices, and fuel is about $0.30/gal cheaper. It makes sense to fill my tank on trips to this area instead of purchasing smaller amounts locally. Also, this town also has ethanol free stations available, so I end up still paying less for better quality fuel.

I'd say that to purchase 2 gallons of fuel you probably spend 10 minutes from the time you pull off the road to the time you pull back into traffic. To fill the tank of a regular passenger vehicle only takes about 15 mins. You can spend 15 mins of your time, once a week, or you can spend over an hour purchasing the fuel in smaller increments. Personally, my time is worth more than that.

With that all being said, Fuelly is working on a new algorithm for partial fills. The release date is unknown at this time.

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

I would partial fill the Prius back when I had it. Between the weight savings and fuel bladder, there was a slight improvement in fuel economy. But this was a Prius. Stopping at a gas station once a week from every other week or even once a month isn't a big jump in extra time spend refueling relative doing it daily. I rarely ran the tank low enough for the low fuel light to come on, also.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Personally, I don't see it. Say you use 14 gallons a week. whether you purchase 2 gallons a day, or stop once and purchase 14 gallons, you're purchasing the same volume of fuel. Also, if you only keep a bare minimum in your tank, you're more likely to purchase fuel at stations because of their location, not their price. The way I see it, you probably end up paying more, and you certainly spend more time purchasing fuel.

In my town, fuel is running about $3.40/gal right now. If I was purchasing fuel daily, this is what I would be paying, 2 gallons at a time. About once a week I travel to a town that has lower fuel prices, and fuel is about $0.30/gal cheaper. It makes sense to fill my tank on trips to this area instead of purchasing smaller amounts locally. Also, this town also has ethanol free stations available, so I end up still paying less for better quality fuel.

I'd say that to purchase 2 gallons of fuel you probably spend 10 minutes from the time you pull off the road to the time you pull back into traffic. To fill the tank of a regular passenger vehicle only takes about 15 mins. You can spend 15 mins of your time, once a week, or you can spend over an hour purchasing the fuel in smaller increments. Personally, my time is worth more than that.

With that all being said, Fuelly is working on a new algorithm for partial fills. The release date is unknown at this time.
Yea im with you on that, I always fill up. I guess the majority of cars here are far more economical in the US though, so for some people 2 gallons would do 100, maybe 140 miles at a push. Thats probably the average miles most people do to and from work in a week so perhaps buying fuel becomes part of thier weekly shop so to speak. I must admit, in my other car, driving with just 2 gallons in, as it was such a light car, you could really feel the weight difference when cornering at speed, and the acceleration felt like I had an extra 20 hp! When you see efforts some car manufactures go to reduce weight, fuel is pretty substantial.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

By the way, 14 gallons a week?! That's close to 1400 miles in my car, ive done up to 1000 a week once or twice on holidays, but thats epic mileage to cover every week. 14 gallons will probably last me 4 or 5 weeks