privacy/sharing settings - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

privacy/sharing settings

Suggestion for Fuelly:

I use fuelly to keep track of maintenance on top of fuel-ups. It would be great if I could pick which features I would like to share publicly, for example:

Bare bones - nothing other than fuel economy statistics are shared publicly. Photos, notes, tags, specific fuel-ups are only available to the owner in his/her garage.

Some profile and fuel-ups - picture, and data on specific fuel-ups besides statistics (odometer reading, dates...). Notes are still private to the owner.

Everything public.

latindane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

*crickets*

Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for the feedback, we'll consider some of these ideas for a future release.

The original idea behind making all the data public was for transparency so people could see the other vehicles that are influencing the crowd sourced numbers. We'd likely need to find a solution which would handle that by also allow for keeping some data private.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the answer :thumbup
Old 06-01-2016, 02:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

[edit] - so there's an option to "keep note private". Unfortunately that checkbox/option is only available on the web... I enter most of my info from the app (iphone, but I have android too, though I haven't checked that app yet)...and the iphone app doesn't have the option to keep notes private.

I just need to go to the web site every time and click that option.... feature request for app!!

Lastly, not sure if that option works as I can still see my notes on my public page (viewing from different browser where I'm not logged in)... even after I've updated the option to "keep note private". Even I went back in, edited a note, and I can see the edit on the public page. The keep private check box had become unchecked.... sooo.... original concern still stands.

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

-------------- orig post ----------

so 2 years later... I don't know what has changed from 2 years ago, but I have some concerns about not having a level of granularity on what is shared publicly.

I'm all for the base information... but for example, I take notes when I do services and fill ups... those notes I just found out today are shared publicly. I need to stop using this service now and go back to my spreadsheet method for logging that information because it's not really something I'm comfortable with (mpg and city/highway splits... fine... details about my dispute with my dealership... should be in my control to share if/when I choose).

Anyway, love the service other than this new found potential privacy issue... seems more like an unintended consequence than a blatant disregard for privacy... but would still be interested in having some information be held back (the social media settings allow you to limit what's shared... for example).

Thanks!
crackncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackncat View Post
[edit] - so there's an option to "keep note private". Unfortunately that checkbox/option is only available on the web... I enter most of my info from the app (iphone, but I have android too, though I haven't checked that app yet)...and the iphone app doesn't have the option to keep notes private.

I just need to go to the web site every time and click that option.... feature request for app!!

Lastly, not sure if that option works as I can still see my notes on my public page (viewing from different browser where I'm not logged in)... even after I've updated the option to "keep note private". Even I went back in, edited a note, and I can see the edit on the public page. The keep private check box had become unchecked.... sooo.... original concern still stands.

any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

-------------- orig post ----------

so 2 years later... I don't know what has changed from 2 years ago, but I have some concerns about not having a level of granularity on what is shared publicly.

I'm all for the base information... but for example, I take notes when I do services and fill ups... those notes I just found out today are shared publicly. I need to stop using this service now and go back to my spreadsheet method for logging that information because it's not really something I'm comfortable with (mpg and city/highway splits... fine... details about my dispute with my dealership... should be in my control to share if/when I choose).

Anyway, love the service other than this new found potential privacy issue... seems more like an unintended consequence than a blatant disregard for privacy... but would still be interested in having some information be held back (the social media settings allow you to limit what's shared... for example).

Thanks!
There was a bug with the Keep Note Private setting not sticking. We fixed it recently. Please edit any of your notes and the setting will stick now.
What other datapoints would you prefer be hidden from public view?
RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

Making notes private

Is there a way to make ALL my notes (or select lots at once at least) private in one action?
Rather than having to go through every note individually and checking the box? As I did some big imports from CSV files all the notes are public by default.

Thanks
aphay36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 11:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latindane View Post
Suggestion for Fuelly:

I use fuelly to keep track of maintenance on top of fuel-ups. It would be great if I could pick which features I would like to share publicly, for example:dynamons world

Bare bones - nothing other than fuel economy statistics are shared publicly. Photos, notes, tags, specific fuel-ups are only available to the owner in his/her garage.

Some profile and fuel-ups - picture, and data on specific fuel-ups besides statistics (odometer reading, dates...). Notes are still private to the owner.

Everything public.
I can't see it.

Cisioan is offline   Reply With Quote