Recent Fuel-ups Graph Scale - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuelly Community Support > Fuelly Web Support and Community News
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #1

Recent Fuel-ups Graph Scale

The "Recent Fuel-ups" graph has dates along the x-axis with a constant amount of spacing between the dates. This doesn't provide a true time scale.

For example, the distance from 8/26 to 8/29 on my car's graph is the same as the distance from 8/29 to 8/31, but this clearly isn't to scale. The distance from 8/26 to 8/29 should be 3 units and the distance from 8/29 to 8/31 should be two units. It's definitely a nitpick, and not exactly a bug, but it might be worth correcting someday. Along the same lines, it might be worth letting users specify what time they filled up, since some really hardcore drivers might fill up more than once in a day.

rcsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

I CONCUR! Especially with the time stamped fill-ups. I actually edited the date of one of my fill-ups because I filled up twice in the same day, and I wanted the graph to reflect the difference in mileage of both fuel-ups.

titushonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #3

I've now got graphs in excel of the cost of gas over the last 14 years. What I don't have is the corresponding zip code I was living in at the times..

Still, it would be cool to have extended zip code price graphs over several years. (with data gathered across multiple users, from their reported zip codes for the US, or some other geo code outside the US.)

Wim.
WimBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thats not the purpose of the graph, I would say. The purpose would be to show your recent fill ups, not the time between fill ups. That changes each fill up. For me, in one rare case, I had a 12 day span without a fill up, where as normally, I have a 3-4 day span between fill ups. Then theres that one time that I filled up after 6 hours of driving. Equal spacing isn't going to do any good to give me a good judgement on what that graph states not to mention the odd ball scale thats going to show up.

My understanding of that graph is just to show you what your mileage was when you filled up. Its not dependent on the days between when you filled up. Theoretically your mileage is going to be the same regardless if you drive the same route 300 times in a day, or, 1 time for 300 days. (For the elitist, yes, weather and temperature does affect mileage, I cede that) The scale you propose just doesn't make sense to me.

Thats my two cents.
Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

Pontiac,

I understand your point, but the fact remains as mentioned by titushonda that multiple fuel-ups in the same day don't really appear correctly on the graph. If the graph were meant to be interpreted as you say, wouldn't it make more sense to have two separate x-values for two fill-ups on the same date?

Really this seems like something that would ideally be customizable, but I'm sure that'd take some significant development work.
rcsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
Registered Member

Attempting to avoid the whole debate thing, but, regardless if I fill up 3 times per month versus 3 times in one 24 hour period, my interpretation of the graph isn't based on time, but fuel consumed between fill ups.

Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote