My idea - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Driving on E

My idea

<p>An idea I have had for a while would be to get an older car, maybe a first generation CRX or one of those old 79 honda accords.&nbsp; The basic idea is that is must be very light weight.&nbsp; I would then swap in a 30 horsepower tractor engine into the car and run it on biodiesel. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;I've heard that Popular Mechanics did something like this in the 70s and the car received 110 mpg on regular diesel.&nbsp; This would be the perfect thing for road trips and cruising around town.<br />&nbsp;</p>

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
*shrug*

Need some job advice

Goodness gracious, tractor engine eh. Well, the mounts would be crazy as hell but I think a rabbit would be better suited for it considering is is lighter than most crap and hella cheaper since they rust like no other. But good idea none the less. Some cool stuff has been done with rabbits, I'll find the link I am thinking of an stick it in the EV section.&nbsp;

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

yeah, rabbit would be the

<p>yeah, rabbit would be the best idea. &nbsp; they already came with good diesel engines, and a newer tdi will bolt right in (if you're good with wiring). &nbsp;&nbsp; I was actually thinking about doing this with the rabbit since i'm so disappointed with it's gas milege.&nbsp;&nbsp; they rust like no other?&nbsp;&nbsp; that's weird, in my area vw's stand up much better than 88-91 hondas.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>anyway, i have connections on rabbits if anyone is interested in doing this.<br /></p>
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
*shrug*

engine on coasting, a question

<p>They are all busted to hell and rusted around NJ, but I dunno. I have seen some clean ones online. I was going to swap for the newer tdi until I got my crx fetish, but I couldn't find a clean enough body to make it worth the work. How much are you talking about with connections? I might know a friend who'd want one.&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>PS: sent you an email through the site thingy&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

A First Order Equation for Estimating Drag Coefficients

How about a small diesel generator running a electric motor? This is how trains run.

Just a thought. hehee
chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
*shrug*

D Series Basement Sale!

There is a dude that made an electric vw rabbit, for long trip he bought another diesel rabbit, chopped the front off, made it a generator, and tows it behind his rabbit. I have the link in the battery powered section I believe. Also, somehting I forgot about that I wanted to post, but some bus people in europe have made a system where the bus runs a diesel generator and then the electric motors are actually inside of the wheels. You just have to hook up the generators and throw on some huge *** wheels and you can retrofit any bus. Cuts fuel use in half I think they said, I'll look for the link and post it up in the hybrd section I guess.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Driving on E

DIY: Oil Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgood
How about a small diesel generator running a electric motor? This is how trains run.

Just a thought. hehee
I actually had a conversation with my friend about this the other day. he was saying that any time you transfer energy you're going to lose some to friction, heat, etc.

SVOBoy, I'd really like to read about the generator/electric VW bus. That sounds like an awesome project.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
*shrug*

Quick question about going down hills...

Not VW bus, like public transportation bus. Serious big time stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
*shrug*

Any luck with VW/Audi solar panels?

Here's the link to the post about it, enjoy:
http://www.gassavers.org/node/73

« - | vegpowered systems »