My WVO kit came in :( - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

My WVO Kit is IN! was "My WVO kit came in"

Well, after 2 LONG MONTHS my kit came in from Frybrid. It seemed to take a bit of prodding but I got it - at least "most of it". I opened it immediately after I got it and could not find the invoice though there was a inventory checklist. Bad part was I bought an extra valve which was not on the standard checklist, the valve wasn't in the box. Also missing was my 50' of aluminum fuel line.

So today ordered 50' of fuel line from ANOTHER source so I can get my kit going soon. I'm still out a $100 valve and it cost me $50 to replace the fuel line. I'm not a happy camper.

On another note, the quality of the parts I actually got is excellent. If I had to draw a line and say whether or not I'm a dissatisfied customer, I'd teeter over to the dissatisfied side though the kit quality helped even it - still I could of built my own kit for much less but being the first time I don't reget it even though as of present I'm out $150! I'll be sure to post the install AND will post if I ever get refunded amount "lost".

BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Tuggin at the surly bonds

If you used a credit card you're virtually guaranteed to get your money back. If the merchant doesn't want to make good on it (you have to try with them first), have the charge rescinded. That always gets their attention.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #3

The kit is installed. 1,600 "trouble free" miles so far.(knock on wood) Need to clean up the installation a bit but everyone that has seen it so far has commented on how professional it turned out. IMO I think I could of done a cleaner install I suppose but I was told by a wise old guy to compare it to restoring a car. "YOU seem to notice all the little imperfections, because it's YOUR car YOU built."

Still, I am going to redo the wiring harness a little more and clean that up plus some more detailing under the hood.

I've decided next month I'll take it to the car show for a little public awareness. (time for paperwork to clear, aka - road tax! though I know for a fact they won't bother me locally; big brother will) I plan on making up some professional looking signs stating how the system works along with a brief history of diesels along with a disclaimer that I WILL NOT build a car for someone! If I had $100 for every time I've been asked that since I finished the car. - I hate working on others peoples cars, if I liked it I'd do quite a bit more mechanic-ing. Last thing - my GIANT STUFFED GORILLA in the front seat with a sign "IT'S YOUR TURN TO BE THE 800 POUND GORILLA, NOT THE OIL COMPANIES!"

All in all, the car IMO runs smoother when it is on WVO - actually it seems to run smoother overall as in all the time now. For the most part, no more stinky diesel exhaust smell - to me; it smells like the deli at Wal-Mart. If I could swap my Datsun for another VW in the same condition to do a conversion I'd do it in a second. For the most part the range of the car has been extended to about 1400 miles!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Chris Goodwin (I think?) seems to be fairly dependable, just on the loopy side due to having so much in terms of orders and fabrication. Pester 'em for awhile and I'm sure you'll get your money back. I mean, in those two months, you probably could've put together something similar for less, but the Frybrid kit at least comes w/ a warranty, right?
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #5

Doh, I forgot to mention, after almost a month of pestering the rest of the kit came in. It came in at the end of June/beginning of July. I HAVE THE COMPLETE FRYBRID KIT INSTALLED - all the part did eventually come in and I am finally very happy I got the Frybrid kit over some of the competition.

As far as Chris, I can only call him a top automotive dentist. I dreaded having anything to do with him as it was very painful BUT in the end I am happy!! The quality of the kit is excellent, I guess he needs more assistants to handle shipping/receiving etc. IMO, he works much like me. I have a hard time telling other people to do anything and feel that they can't produce the same high quality of work as me; I just don't trust them. Only recently have I learned to adapt by telling subordinates to do things to lessen the load on myself.

I think I could of built a kit myself, it wouldn't of been anything near the quality of the Frybrid kit. Will I be a repeat customer? Oh....I dunno. 50/50 on that - depends what mood I'm in when you ask me. As of now, yes IF am not in a hurry to install the kit. When I say that I mean 6 months or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Chris Goodwin (I think?) seems to be fairly dependable, just on the loopy side due to having so much in terms of orders and fabrication. Pester 'em for awhile and I'm sure you'll get your money back. I mean, in those two months, you probably could've put together something similar for less, but the Frybrid kit at least comes w/ a warranty, right?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #6

Due to popular PM demand I've decided to go ahead and post a few pics of the finished system. Keep in mind it is finished in terms of "it's running", but I WILL be doing some touch-up on the wiring etc. Today I hit the 2k mark as far as how many miles I have on the system now. It's been virtually trouble free, I haven't even gotten a clogged filter is what I hear a lot about. (knock on wood)

The dash retrofit - VDO Veg tank gauge Idiot lights
- RED running in diesel -
- Green running on VEG OIL -
- Yellow is purge cycle, button is to activate purge -
- Switch is to activate system -
System Computer is behind panel

A pic of the mess in the engine compartment
though compared to some other installs I've
seen here on the internet it may not be
all that bad.

A more close up view of some of the
system. Veg Oil filter and some of the valves
and the mess of coolant hoses and wiring

Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Holy Heater Hoses Batman!
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Registered Member

It heats the WVO before cumbustion? The kit I have seen had an element inside the tank.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #9

Yes, before combustion. It has an element inside the tank as well. This kit is now installed in my Mercedes - I pulled it from the VW.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Update your sig, it still says it's in the '86 VW.