OMgz, such idiocy. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Alternative Fuels > Vegetable Oil and BioDiesel
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Registered Member

Do they tax the Amish on the pasture and hay they grow for their horses?

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
My wife's home business is data processing. She pays a quarterly tax based on her 'process' output. Can she be exempted from having to pay federal and state fuel tax, too?
Of course the issue is that the Government has to figure out a way to tax things. Your wife's work is income.

Making BD - for the homebrewer - is taking someone's garbage and making it into fuel. Different buckets, y'know. Fuel, on the commercial scale, is (presumably) taxed to support the transportation infrastructure.

A similar situation is homebrewing of beer. You can make up to 200 gallons without a license. Of course, I would speculate that some people make waaay more than that - the issue is enforcement. On a related side note, have you noticed that alcohol products are categorized? In other words, a traditional high gravity beer is categorized as a "malt liquor." It is still beer, but for Gubmint taxation purposes it is classified into a particular category.

dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Yes, and I don't think so. Their buggies are required to meet requirements for use on public roads, but I don't personally know what, if any, the fees might be for certifying those minimum buggy requirements. I'm similarly 'taxed' on my property, and am not 'taxed' to pedal my bicycle on public roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosco View Post
Your wife's work is income.
Oh I wish there were income from that 'hobby', but she still pays a quarterly tax...

The BD issue isn't so much the manufacture of the fuel, it's the quantity of fuel and the quantity of the ingredients. My spray cans of paint and insecticide, the jug of gasoline for the snow thrower, isn't subject to hazardous waste storage regulations. But you know that if I were to go around collecting other's household wastes "someone's garbage" in your vernacular, and were producing recycled paint from the hundreds of gallons I could collect, that there would be some sort of license and a fee I'd need to do so.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
YES. The Amish are moving out of their most historical home, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, due to excessive taxes. Now in West Virginia (there are more Amish in Ohio and West Virginia now), it is in the state Constitution that any land whose primary purpose is agriculture is tax-free. (Paraphrased)

Guess what? If you own a home and a LOT of property, if the primary thing that the land is for is for growing crops, you don't have to pay tax on it.

I want to own a bunch of land and grow trees. Trees are indeed plants, and no one said I had to harvest them all.

Stupid gubmint. Run by Dubya. Isn't that just pathetic?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:35 AM   #25
Registered Member

Well what I really meant was do they pay a particular extra tax for growing horse food rather than anything else.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #26
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
YES. The Amish are moving out of their most historical home, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, due to excessive taxes. Now in West Virginia (there are more Amish in Ohio and West Virginia now), it is in the state Constitution that any land whose primary purpose is agriculture is tax-free. (Paraphrased)

Guess what? If you own a home and a LOT of property, if the primary thing that the land is for is for growing crops, you don't have to pay tax on it.

I want to own a bunch of land and grow trees. Trees are indeed plants, and no one said I had to harvest them all.

Stupid gubmint. Run by Dubya. Isn't that just pathetic?
Yes, I realize I'm digging up an old thread, but just a quick comment here. Some states exclude tree farms. When we were going to get plates for Rusty after we got him running again dad wanted to get farm plates so he'd be exempt from taxes, registration, and inspection fees on that vehicle. He has 4 acres of trees of his property. Apparently the Virginia code specifically prohibits farm plates being issued to "tree farms" to prevent anyone with a large parcel of wooded land from trying to exempt their vehicles.

Quote:
C. As used in this section, the term "farm" means one or more areas of land used for the production, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of agricultural products, but does not include a tree farm that is not also a nursery or Christmas tree farm, unless it is part of what otherwise is a farm. As used in this section, the term "agricultural products" means any nursery plants; Christmas trees; horticultural, viticultural, and other cultivated plants and crops; aquaculture; dairy; livestock; poultry; bee; or other farm products.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Apparently, it's illegal to filter vegetable oil in your own home in Adams, NY. Jeezus... Next time I'm in NY, I guess I won't be able to filter those little bits of egg from my cooking oil. And cars... Probably can't be operated on private property, because, ya know, they're filtering fuel.

It's almost as bad as this.

P.s. If you ever do anything that's not completely legally sanctioned in ever single sense of the word, don't tell anyone about it.
That is seriously infuriating. The link to the film below kind of gives an explanation for such evil government operatives.

BE ZEITGEISTED!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Registered Member

I just want less government. More isn't helping. Never thought it would, and there's no accountability for more and more government.