2015; Plug-Ins & Electric Cars, the fastest growing segment - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

A plug in refers to any car that has plug in capability, such as some hybrids (Mitsubishi Outlander, Prius Prime etc) and pure electric cars which are always plug in.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
Registered Member

Plug in covers PHEV and BEV. Basically anything that can charge from the grid.

EV could include fuel cell cars that are fueled by hydrogen or any other fuel. It can also include a BEV that runs on primary batteries alone, but i don't see such coming to market.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

So, reading between the lines, are you saying that some hybrids do NOT have a plug-in option?
ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
What's the difference 'tween an EV and a plug-in?
It appears the term plug-in is used to include pure EVs as well as plug-in hybrids.

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
So, reading between the lines, are you saying that some hybrids do NOT have a plug-in option?
Most hybrids from the last 20 years don't have plug in capability Doug, the batteries have been charged via the engine and/or regen braking, it's only the last few years that some hybrids, ones that are capable of driving on battery power alone (pure EV mode) have had the plug in option added.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Most hybrids from the last 20 years don't have plug in capability Doug, the batteries have been charged via the engine and/or regen braking, it's only the last few years that some hybrids, ones that are capable of driving on battery power alone (pure EV mode) have had the plug in option added.
Now that you mention the difference, I never noticed a Prius was a non-plugin.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Registered Member

Apparently the UK took the number one spot in EU registrations of plug ins in 2016.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #18
Registered Member

Nice. It will ONLY get better, too.

Paul, you would probably know the answer to something like this... Is marijuana legal in the UK?
Old 02-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member

I just saw the movie APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Well worth seeing for sports car lovers.

I mention this because many of these manufacturers create runs that are counted in the hundreds of vehicles per year, so if you sold 100 x $1.5M hypercars last year, and this year you sell 125, that's a stellar 25% growth!

And I mention this, because:
  1. When people talks about "the fastest growing" this or that product segment (like EVs), they're usually talking about small numbers that can show remarkable "growth" just by selling more small numbers, and...
  2. They're likely ignoring even smaller segments that are displaying even more impressive "growth", like the stratospherically priced hypercar market.
Which brings me back to the movie, APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Available on the iTunes store or Vimeo. Loved it :-)

2015 Audi Q5 "Progressiv" + S-Line + Scuba Blue, 3.0L V6 TDI
(Highest fuel economy for all Audi Q5s on Fuelly!)

SteveMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMak View Post
I just saw the movie APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Well worth seeing for sports car lovers.

I mention this because many of these manufacturers create runs that are counted in the hundreds of vehicles per year, so if you sold 100 x $1.5M hypercars last year, and this year you sell 125, that's a stellar 25% growth!

And I mention this, because:
  1. When people talks about "the fastest growing" this or that product segment (like EVs), they're usually talking about small numbers that can show remarkable "growth" just by selling more small numbers, and...
  2. They're likely ignoring even smaller segments that are displaying even more impressive "growth", like the stratospherically priced hypercar market.
Which brings me back to the movie, APEX: The Story of the Hypercar. Available on the iTunes store or Vimeo. Loved it :-)
With off-the-shelf Teslas clocking 2.1 second, 0-60mph times, Super Cars are becoming irrelevant. Especially, when it costs less to trailer a Veyron and fly by private jet to a destination then to simply drive the Veyron that distance.